Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger solution on private car parking space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I am new. I just bought a new 85D. Can anyone tell me who should i first contact regarding the home power wall connector? Should I first get an electrician to survey my place to see what I need to get done for the wall connector? OR should i talk to my management first? The problem is I don't know what exactly I need from them. I live in a townhouse like area. One block has 4 units with self owned parking space beneath the units. Any help would be appreciated!

I am fairly new to all this. There seems to be a lot of problems regarding the installation, so i want to start as soon as possible before the car delivers.

So long as you are not using any 'common areas' of the property, you shouldn't need management approval.

If you need to run cables through a common area, or access a common meter, then you will most likely need approval.

I suggest you contact a couple of Tesla's recommended electricians (or your own if you have a preferred one). Keep it simple, and you'll keep costs down. 40A single phase (50A breaker), or 32A single phase (40A breaker) should be relatively easy and cheap to get done, and either would be fine for overnight charging.

got delivered the car i share with my dad (he's the primary user, reverse commuting to NT from HKI for work; and me using at off hours. mom has an ICE and she refuse to go electron.) We hadnt inquired about installing at home since he has sufficient control of the parking area at work and to install the 32/40A charger there (i havent seen the charger in real yet since installation). We liked the car so much since delivery 2 weeks ago and have started asking our building out of curiosity (or in case if mom decides to switch too, but perhaps that wont happen since a few of the carparks we go frequently wont fit a MS).
Henderson lets us install it on a first come first serve basis based on power capacity (i didnt exactly ask how much is remaining here) but all i know is they charge 3000$ deposit and a $10-20k installation charge.
so, good to hear here :p

got delivered the car i share with my dad (he's the primary user, reverse commuting to NT from HKI for work; and me using at off hours. mom has an ICE and she refuse to go electron.) We hadnt inquired about installing at home since he has sufficient control of the parking area at work and to install the 32/40A charger there (i havent seen the charger in real yet since installation). We liked the car so much since delivery 2 weeks ago and have started asking our building out of curiosity (or in case if mom decides to switch too, but perhaps that wont happen since a few of the carparks we go frequently wont fit a MS).
Henderson lets us install it on a first come first serve basis based on power capacity (i didnt exactly ask how much is remaining here) but all i know is they charge 3000$ deposit and a $10-20k installation charge.
so, good to hear here :p

If you want to know which car park fits a MS, you can look it up here on my Best Tesla Model S-friendly Car Park Map: http://goo.gl/rClkgh. If it is not listed on the map, feel free to contribute so others can benefit from your experience.

read thru it, its an amazing list :) but yea, regal HK, that's the one!

i think you don't have Man Yee Bldg / The Centre (both = Central) too? Let me check it out one day =P i think its just the normal tight bends which is easier if i use both lanes. very high suspension and i shall be fine.

I haven't been to either of those car parks in the Model S but have done so previously in my BMW 3 series.
Man Yee is VERY tight at the entrance. I wouldn't try it in my Model S. The Center is great - very wide at the entrance/exit as well as the parking spaces.
The reason though that I haven't been to either in the Model S is that if you go further down to Bonham Strand, there's some street parking there. I have parked there numerous times on weekend evenings and I have not been ticketed once. Park at your own risk!

Good luck!

Caribbean Coast, Tung Chung (MTR Mgt) writes:

As the installation works for the EV charging facilities plug involves
different Ordinances and insurance issues, we would not consider to
provide the installation at the moment.

Thanks guys ... very enthusiastic.

Help!!!

Caribbean Coast, Tung Chung (MTR Mgt) writes:

As the installation works for the EV charging facilities plug involves
different Ordinances and insurance issues, we would not consider to
provide the installation at the moment.

Thanks guys ... very enthusiastic.

Help!!!

Sad and sorry to hear that.

Many other estates, large and small, including Residence Bel-Air have provided for at least some EV charger installations. The management of those estates have managed to successfully deal with various ordinances and insurance requirements. Thus, Caribbean Coast management's current stance not to consider providing for EV charging facilities is rather weak. If other estates can provide it why can't they?

>>> Perhaps we should start a list of HK estates that have kindly provided for EV charger facilities. Similar to Locky's ongoing "Best Car Park List", it can help to promote the "progressive" estates and their "green" and EV-friendly management offices' attitude. That may then encourage more estates to follow.

agree its tight but they are very good at regulating traffic. go slow and use all the space and im sure its gonna be fine. we go to a restaurant just opposite from the bldg so unlikely we'd park elsewhere (maybe ifc when the ladies want shopping). have seen some nice low cars there anyways so i doubt undercarriage clearance would be a problem. and i think they have a charging spot up too (owuldnt go down unnecessarily to charge up nonetheless!)
I haven't been to either of those car parks in the Model S but have done so previously in my BMW 3 series.
Man Yee is VERY tight at the entrance. I wouldn't try it in my Model S. The Center is great - very wide at the entrance/exit as well as the parking spaces.
The reason though that I haven't been to either in the Model S is that if you go further down to Bonham Strand, there's some street parking there. I have parked there numerous times on weekend evenings and I have not been ticketed once. Park at your own risk!

Good luck!

read thru it, its an amazing list :) but yea, regal HK, that's the one!

i think you don't have Man Yee Bldg / The Centre (both = Central) too? Let me check it out one day =P i think its just the normal tight bends which is easier if i use both lanes. very high suspension and i shall be fine.

Thanks for your suggestions, if it is blacklist material for obvious reasons, then there is no need to actually try the car park before suggesting. That being said, let's keep to the title of this thread. There are two other threads related to my Car Park Map and you have already commented on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, will add them to my map.

Some of us, who wants to charge not only Teslas, might have installed a 3rd party wallbox. The dominant supplier for such wallboxes is EV Power in Hong Kong. Did anyone install different brands (e.g. Schneider or others)? If yes, which brands and what is your experience concerning reliability and failure rate?

Hi ekwng and everyone, Is convoy the only company offering related insurance? I met the estate management office and formation of owners' corporation yesterday evening and my EV charger installation application will be approved if I can get a 3rd party liabilities insurance for it.

Hi Toma,
Sorry, I'm probably too late but I got my $10M public liability insurance for my charger at my parking space from Cindy at Prudential ([email protected]). Cost is under $1,000/year. Hope this helps!