Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Space Usage Monthly Fee

Does your management office impose a monthly fee for using your charger in your parking space?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I am curious about how much your management office demands for a monthly fee after you have installed a charger in your parking space. Why I do this? Recently I have a debate with my friends who also install charger in their parking spaces. I found that there are huge difference. For example my estate charges $3,000 for deposit and $200 for monthly fee. One of my friends does not require deposit and monthly fee, while another one require a $20,000 deposit and no monthly fee.

Property Developer/Estate Deposit Monthly Fee
Nan Fung 3000 200​

They call it a monthly usage fee for the wall. They explain that I bought the car park space which does not include the wall. Therefore, I need to pay a fee which is similar to renting a space to other third parties like HKT, HGC, etc.

And you don't actually occupy any space that will affect anyone else

What happened is just common HK way of business, if they can pay, make them pay more
The charger is installed on a wall facing my car. Nobody cares about it UNTIL I ask for it.

The government should legalise the right of car park owner to install the NECESSARY charger without unnecessary approval by management office and owner's committee. Otherwise, clean energy and clean air are quite difficult to achieve.

May i know how much usually you pay monthly bill for the electricity if u charge daily at home? I understand it depends on your driving habits so u may estimated bss certain mileage. Just for my ref if its worth to install own charges which so far my management does not allow :-(

The price of electricity in Hong Kong works out to around HK$1 per kW. Average would be between HK$0.2 - HK$0.3 per km.

With an average ICE car, with the price of gasoline in Hong Kong you end up paying about HK$1.5 per km.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkq786
May i know how much usually you pay monthly bill for the electricity if u charge daily at home? I understand it depends on your driving habits so u may estimated bss certain mileage. Just for my ref if its worth to install own charges which so far my management does not allow :-(
My monthly bill is around HKD250. Before I switched to EV, my bill is around 2500 on my Accord 2.4.

The price of electricity in Hong Kong works out to around HK$1 per kW.

That is the base residential, or commercial, rate. Note that most home owners sharing their main house meter will be paying more than that. Up to HK$2/kWh. If you are adding EV charging to your home, have a look at your last bill and the highest rate you are paying - that is likely what you will be paying for EV charging.

CLP now offer the option of installing a second meter for EV charging facilities that is charged at the non-residential rate and brings the cost down to closer to HK$1/kWh (but you need to pay for installation of that second meter and associated wiring).

• Informative