Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Suggestion Inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any suggestions regarding a level 2 home charging purchase. My handyman has agreed to put it in for us. We are going to have it installed in the garage. Looking for one that not only can plug in my model 3 but also other EVs.

Appreciate any help.

How long is a piece of string? There are tons of EVSE options and therefore opinions out there.

I'm currently partial to the units from OpenEVSE. This is
mainly because I like the open source aspect of their gear and the logging/internet features they include. Before my current OpenEVSE system, I had one from ClipperCreek. ClipperCreek makes rock-solid gear and stands behind their products with excellent customer service. Several people here have reported that they replaced units well past the warranty period and didn't make the people pay for the replacement system. Lots of other options out there, and in reality, there's probably not much difference between any of them.

There have been reports of compatibility issues with the Model 3 and the EVSE made by Bosh and Siemens here on the forums. I have no direct experience with those, so can't comment other than you should maybe search for those threads before deciding on a system from them.

Of course, you can always just do your home charging by installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Install a 14-50 plug, I suggest getting another Tesla UMC, but you can use the one that you have.
All the other cars should be able to plug into it.

The Tesla connector has the button that opens the charge port, this is very handy and easier than using the J1772 adapter with another EVSE.

If I was not getting the tesla wall connector installed (because I think it looks cool, and because being able to charge at the maximum rate that can be achieved outside of a supercharger will help me not think about range ), I would get the clipper creek one.

No fancy wireless etc on that one, but seemed solid, and they were super friendly when I called them with sales questions. Of course, the one I was looking at was almost twice the cost of the tesla wall connector, which made the tesla one a pretty easy choice for me.

I just installed some NEMA 14-50 plugs. For my Model 3 I purchased a second mobile connector for $300 as it charges fast enough and was quite inexpensive. If you want to hard wire then the Tesla Wall Connector or a Clipper Creek unit are both good options, and about 50% faster.

Any suggestions regarding a level 2 home charging purchase. My handyman has agreed to put it in for us. We are going to have it installed in the garage. Looking for one that not only can plug in my model 3 but also other EVs.

Appreciate any help.

Others have given excellent advice here.

I have done a lot of thinking about this topic.

I would much rather an industry standard solution when spending money on an EVSE.

The issue is that I find nothing can remotely touch the capabilities of the Tesla Wall Connector for the price.

I am hard pressed to find any EVSE capable of even 40 amps continuous for under $500. The wall connector is good to 80 amps! (100a circuit).

The wall connector also includes the ability to pair with up to four total units to share a single circuit. It also is easy to set in any increment from 15a to 100a circuits depending on what you have available (very flexible install requirements).

So when you count those benefits plus the convenience factor of not needing to use an adaptor and the button to wirelessly open the charge port (this is more convenient than you might think), it isn’t hard for me to argue for J1772 units for most folks use cases right now.

Everyone’s use cases are different, but I would probably not spend too much time/money trying to future proof. I chose the Wall Connector and am very happy with it. If years down the road I get a different car I could swap over to a J1772 unit easily and I predict they will come down in price a lot once mass market EV’s roll out (though the licensing cost for the J1772 handle apparently is expensive). You may also be able to resell the Wall Connector at that point also. Whatever wiring you put in is likely reusable.

I basically feel that Tesla is either selling the Wall Connectors at a loss, or at least selling them for a lot less than what I would consider market rate to be for OEM equipment. They clearly want them out there with their proprietary charge port on them. While I hate proprietary things in general, I have to say, the Tesla charging plug is superior to J1772 in basically every way (other than its proprietary nature).

I basically feel that Tesla is either selling the Wall Connectors at a loss, or at least selling them for a lot less than what I would consider market rate to be for OEM equipment. They clearly want them out there with their proprietary charge port on them. While I hate proprietary things in general, I have to say, the Tesla charging plug is superior to J1772 in basically every way (other than its proprietary nature).

Thats my feeling as well, actually. The clipper creek unit that charged at the same speed as the tesla wall connector was somewhere between 850-950. I dont like proprietary electronic devices either, having been burned by them in the past (early adopter syndrome I guess... but I am very late to the party on EVs), but I feel that Tesla must be selling these at "loss leader" or "market saturation" pricing, knowing that if you have a wall connector hanging in your garage / on your property, when it comes time to replace a car in your household, its VERY likely you will at least give tesla a chance.

I believe in 5 years the market for EVs in the price space of a model 3 (40-80k) will be there from all the major players in the luxury space, as well as some domestic brands. Getting a person to buy a wall connector is smart business, and making it easier to charge a tesla (and not offering a "standard" port is also good business on their part if they can get people to go along with it.

Thats why they are giving them away for basically 2 referrals. They WANT a bunch of these out there, at bargain prices. They would likely give it away, but if Amazon proved anything its that once people pay for something (like amazon prime) they look for more ways to get their value out of it.

Paying for a wall connector gives it value, and it would not have that value if it was given away for free... which Tesla would likely do to push adoption... so they charge a relatively "low" amount for it for what you get.

Reactions: eprosenx
Install a 14-50 plug, I suggest getting another Tesla UMC, but you can use the one that you have.
All the other cars should be able to plug into it.
No--other cars can't plug into it, because there are no other electric cars that come with a cable that can plug into a 14-50 outlet. All other EVs come with these dinky cords that can only plug into 120V 5-15 outlets for dog-slow charging. To do any kind of AC charging faster than that, they must have some other not-included device with a J1772 charging handle and most people wouldn't have that. If you want it to be usable by other brands of electric cars, you really do need to have a J1772 station of some kind.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx