Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Testing has begun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like charger testing has begun in HK.
It is currently set to 32A

10290642_10152414739945396_227310691256174690_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

Did he notice how many km charging pr hour he could get? As far as I know, it should be around 35 km / hr, if I got it right. Though I am basing it on 55 miles pr hour on a US 80 amp HPWC, so it could be that the amps cannot be compared directly, if the voltage is different.

It will say in the dashboard of the car, and should stabilise a minute or so after plugging in, along with the voltage and estimated time until charged up to the selected charge (i.e. up to 80% charge).

Nice, they will be testing mine next week~

If you can get to it, try to take a picture of the dashboard when they are connecting, or even better, a video.

See this video, from 0:30 and onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5Lg_YLqwc

Note that this is 40A, but less than 220V as it's a 208V AC circuit, so the 30-35 km pr hour might be realistic (19-22 miles pr hour), depending what your local voltage is precisely.

Be aware that the km/hr charge rate is a session average. Every other number on the dashboard is an instantaneous number, but for some (stupid, in my opinion) reason they give a session average on the km/hr rate. Since the amperage ramps slowly at the beginning, the km/hr rate won't be accurate until you have been charging for 5-10 minutes.

It's charging at 32A/212V at 28km/hr. The meter said 29km, and it will take 14 hrs 20 mins to charge it. I do not know what level he set it to... Std or Max Range.

It must have had a quite flat battery, to estimate to charge over 14 hours at 28 km/hr, and I suppose maximum range (which all makes sense, as they are testing it).

What a job to have, to be paid to do this:

Hey, go around the streets of Hong Kong in this P85 model S, until it is near empty, and make sure you have enough to reach the customer for charging testing. Then take 15 hours rest, come back and do it again, for a different customers charging station.

Yup, I'd do that hehe :)

Be aware that the km/hr charge rate is a session average. Every other number on the dashboard is an instantaneous number, but for some (stupid, in my opinion) reason they give a session average on the km/hr rate. Since the amperage ramps slowly at the beginning, the km/hr rate won't be accurate until you have been charging for 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the stateside input to us newbies, we need these little nuggets of information to get a head start :)

btw these are demo cars, not for customer delivery.
and i was told that no 3G connection yet, but using your iPhone as a hotspot, the Tesla can go online and can load Google Map.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, the Tesla can also display Chinese (e.g. songs names in chinese)

28 km/hr, that is really a lot slower than my expectation.

That means I have to charge every night, ( I drive about 150 km a day) and I need an addition charger in my China factory...

I was told that the current Charger is limited to 32A is due to the outlet wire being to "narrow" and they will replace that wire later of the year and will enable 40a charging.

I actually think the figure will be more like 35 km/hr with 32A charging. I think that 28 km/hr figure was a session average take near the start of charging. As I posted above, you can trust km/hr charging number until about 10 minutes of charging.

Alipapa,
maybe consider a 3-phase wallbox from EV Power. Heard, that Tesla might sell a 3-phase wallbox early next year. Besides heard yesterday, that someone from Tesla service in HK said, 3-phase charging is enabled on the HK models. But the same person admitted a lot of conflicting infos coming from Tesla HK.
If not enabled yet, believe it will be enabled soon.
As soon as my EV Power wallbox is connected to the grid, will try to get Tesla to visit me for a charging test. Then we will know the recent 3-phase status.

The km/hr displayed on the dash is instantaneous calculated by the voltage and amperage that get fed to the MS. If you have long wires, you may experience voltage drop; or if you share a transformer with your neighbor and your neighbor turns on their AC; your voltage may drop too. If the voltage is dropped, your kW/hr will drop and hence your kw/hr will drop.

The km/hr displayed on the dash is instantaneous calculated by the voltage and amperage that get fed to the MS. If you have long wires, you may experience voltage drop; or if you share a transformer with your neighbor and your neighbor turns on their AC; your voltage may drop too. If the voltage is dropped, your kW/hr will drop and hence your kw/hr will drop.

Why do you say the km/hr figure is instantaneous? It is actually a charging session average. So yes, it changes frequently, but it isn't a simple amps times voltage calculation. It is taking an average of amps times voltage over the period of time since charging began. The voltage and amps numbers are instantaneous.

Why do you say the km/hr figure is instantaneous? It is actually a charging session average. So yes, it changes frequently, but it isn't a simple amps times voltage calculation. It is taking an average of amps times voltage over the period of time since charging began. The voltage and amps numbers are instantaneous.
My apology of not making my comments clear. The calculation is based on a lot of factors such as outside temperature, temperature of the pack, etc. in additions to the voltage and amperage. My observations in charging my P85 is that the voltage do change frequently (by minute) during charging. I agree that it takes an average of amps times voltage over the period of time. However, if the voltage keeps changing, the km/hr gets change as it is in the equation.