TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charger theft

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wingman, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Wingman

Wingman New Member

Is this common behavior in the Tesla community? Third time I’ve run across it. The blue MS is parked in a spot that has no charger and it appears he just removed the one plugged in the M3 next to him judging by the adapter still in the M3.

ChargerThief.jpg

2. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

If it was me, I would unplug the blue car.

3. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

We don't know the whole picture... It could be agreed upon in best case scenario. Worst case #$%^&!

4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

It's possible that the charging spot was ICEd when the blue S arrived, so he's charging from the spot next to it. Then the 3 arrived and installed his adapter in the hopes that the S driver would plug him in when he's finished. Ya never know.

• Like x 2
  5. lklundin

lklundin Member

Is this a free (i.e. pre-paid) charging station?

In order to avoid actual theft of electricity, I would assume that interrupting a paid-now charging session would actually terminate it. Otherwise I expect such theft to spin out of control.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I used a charger at a park and ride overnight once since it was right next to the hotel I was staying at; When I went to my car the next morning there was a LEAF parked next to me with the charge port open. Pretty obvious what the driver of the LEAF intended. This may be a similar scenario...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I'll agree. For the non-Tesla crowd, if you arrive at a charger, and it is in use, then if you open your charge port, that's a signal to the currently charging user, that "When finished, please plug me in"
    On my Leaf, I can open the charge port and it stays open, doesn't work that way on the Tesla, but by shoving the charge adapter in, it is the effective equivalent.