TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charger tripping my breaker

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Matthew049, May 30, 2018.

1. Matthew049

Matthew049 Member

2014 model S P85+
    it's got an upgraded charger, i get 58 miles per hour of charging.
    has worked flawlessly for the past 18mo but the last 2 days has tripped the breaker
    as you can see the handle is loose. would that be enough to cause the problem?
    will Tesla come out and fix that??
    5494245601.jpg

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Lol, I wouldn't run 80 amps through that thing in my garage

• Like x 3
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

I wouldn't use it like that because that is not how it is designed!

Please give Tesla a call to fix it!

• Like x 1
  4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Nah, just put some duct tape on it and it would be all good...

Seriously, get that fixed before using it. 240v 80A is pretty serious and you don’t want that to go through you or anything else. The fact that the breaking is tripping means it is pulling more than that for some reason that you want to avoid. Maybe turn it down to like 24A until you can fix it ASAP.

5. Matthew049

Matthew049 Member

^ thanks. how would i turn it down??

6. davewill

davewill Member

#6 davewill, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    I wouldn't use it at any amperage. Shut it's breaker off and leave it off until it's fixed.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

on the charging screen it will have a up/down arrow to adjust the charging current.

80 is a whole bunch. You can easily charger overnight on 30 amps.

Your issue might not be the cable, but maybe the breaker has just lost some capacity from extended use.

8. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

If you go back to using your UMC to charge, I'm pretty sure you can convert the Wall Connector into a jump-rope.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Wow, talk about "burying the lede". You title the thread "tripping the breaker", but then show a picture of your cord that looks like it has been attacked by rabid badgers.

• Like x 1
  10. cmaster

cmaster Member

With the amount of heat coming through the opening, if there is a tear in the insulator, you'll possibly create condensation inside the connection creating a short which would cause the breaker to trip.