Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger upgrading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m hoping someone with deep technical knowledge can answer this.

When upgrading the on-board charger from 48 amps to 72 amps, after the hardware has been switched, is it just a simple firmware re-deployment that’s required or is it a software reconfiguration as well.

Would upgrading the charger hardware just before a software update do the trick? After the software update, would the vehicle recognize the new 72 amp charger and allow it to work properly?

Our 2017 S is supposed to have the 72A charging hardware on board, even though we didn't purchase that option. Tesla wants to charge a lot to essentially flip a switch or make a change in the software configuration to enable the full charging.

But we really don't need it. For overnight charging, 48A is fine - we're doing that for our 2018 X that has a 72A charger - and haven't needed to charge faster.

And destination chargers usually aren't able to provide 72A during road trips...

Before paying Tesla to do the charger upgrade, review how you are using your vehicle and verify that you really need to charge faster and justify the cost. We couldn't - so we haven't asked for the upgrade.

I'm curious what car you have that you're upgrading? Is it an older model or brand new? Are you sure an upgrade is even possible?

I ask because I have a 2020 X, and my SC says that a charger upgrade is not possible. If you have different info, I would love to know more.