Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger went Red - for a while

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zas

Model X 90D
Dec 24, 2012
Toronto
So I was plugging in my charger for the night, and it went blinking green as per normal, but then after a few seconds it went solid Red - not charging - middle screen said charging error, try unplugging and replugging ( or something like that ).. I did unplug and replugged several times this with my my Nema plug...but nada..nothing , zippo..still not working...I was starting to get nervous ...so then I thought something may be wrong with my Nema outlet..so I tried the standard 120 plug...but same problem..tried unplugging and replugging several times...still nothing...now I am worried even though I had about a 330 km charge , but still this is not what you want to have happen after 6 days with your brand new car.

so I get in the car, and the charging screen is up and notice where it usually says "stop charging" ( when your car is charging)... It was now saying "start charging" ...so I tapped on it, and sure enough it started charging...but I never had to do this before, and I never got the dreaded RED charge port light...

just sharing my experience in case any of you have this happen as well... Hopefully it's just a minor glitch.

Update:
when I said I was unplugging and replugging, I was doing this to the car charge port plug, not the actual wall mounted Nema plug...

also it first started working when I had the 120v plugged in, so after it worked I removed it and plugged in the Nema andit continued to work with no problems.

Last edited:
My guess is that you don't have 1.17.31 yet. Mine did the same on the early revision of 4.1 (1.17.27/1.17.29), and it was due to the 12v charging system. They made some type of a change to the 12v charging / maintenance software code in those early versions that caused the car not to charge. See the thread in the charging section titled "v4.1 - car won't charge?" for more information.

In response, they pushed 1.17.31 to my car on Christmas eve and it seems to have gotten rid of the "Unable to Charge" error.

My guess is that you don't have 1.17.31 yet. Mine did the same on the early revision of 4.1 (1.17.27/1.17.29), and it was due to the 12v charging system. They made some type of a change to the 12v charging / maintenance software code in those early versions that caused the car not to charge. See the thread in the charging section titled "v4.1 - car won't charge?" for more information.

In response, they pushed 1.17.31 to my car on Christmas eve and it seems to have gotten rid of the "Unable to Charge" error.

Yes, i have 4.1 ( 1.17.29 ) - but i have had it for about 4 days.. yesterday was the only time i had a problem with.

btw, i was speaking with Tesla service, and they mentioned there will be more updates coming out "very soon".. so I think we will have several updates coming out in the near future.. but no word on the phone app though.

Yes, i have 4.1 ( 1.17.29 ) - but i have had it for about 4 days.. yesterday was the only time i had a problem with.

btw, i was speaking with Tesla service, and they mentioned there will be more updates coming out "very soon".. so I think we will have several updates coming out in the near future.. but no word on the phone app though.

The workaround is to keep the door open or the radio on, to maintain a load on the 12v battery while it charges. You'll have to do this every 30 minutes or so as the systems shut off. Send a note to service, asking them to send .31 to you so that it clears this problem up.

The workaround is to keep the door open or the radio on, to maintain a load on the 12v battery while it charges. You'll have to do this every 30 minutes or so as the systems shut off. Send a note to service, asking them to send .31 to you so that it clears this problem up.

Thanks, but it charged fine overnight..no issues..I'll keep an eye on it to see if the problems continue..thanks for the info.