Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger with both circuit load management AND total load management

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to load manage the cable going to my garage to stay under 32A, for charger and garage consumer unit, to meet the voltage drop rule.
I also need to load manage the 100A supply for the house (charging will happen at same time as night storage heaters are on).

Chargers like Zappi have the ability to do each of these tasks, but it look like it’s only possible to select one or the other?
Is there a way to do both at the same time?

Could you not set a maximum current draw on the Zappi at say 30A (like PodPoint do) and then use it’s load shedding function on the whole house? I.e when the house hits 95A reduce the car.
If a kettle is plugged into the garage 13A circuit it will take 10A and leave only 22 for the charger. I dont really want to limit the charger to 20Amps, and if I did what happens when a fan heater gets plugged in? That’s what started me thinking about how it would be cool to be able to have both load management features at once.

You need two CTs. One of them configured on the Zappi as "GRID", and this will protect your 100A fuse. The other needs to be configured as "MONITOR" and placed around the feed to your garage and added to a group capped at 32A.

Might be worth checking that you definitely have a 100A fuse on your house - the label on the fuse carrier refers to the maximum rating, not necessarily the fuse that's inside.

Reactions: Astrape
You need two CTs. One of them configured on the Zappi as "GRID", and this will protect your 100A fuse. The other needs to be configured as "MONITOR" and placed around the feed to your garage and added to a group capped at 32A.

Might be worth checking that you definitely have a 100A fuse on your house - the label on the fuse carrier refers to the maximum rating, not necessarily the fuse that's inside.
That is impressive! Exactly what I was looking for. That way if the installer agrees I can run a sensible 10mm sq size cable and manage the voltage drop with the Monitor function. The garage is 50 metres from the main consumer unit so the cable size rapidly gets big if you look to add full charging current and local mains and lighting.

There is an electric pole 15 metres away. I will check the cost of a new connection, but I suspect it will be easier to bury a 45 metre conduit and run from the house supply.

It all looks 100A ish, 25mm tails and night storage heaters, 100A main consumer unit, modern 100A label on the fuse holder. I guess the installer will get that confirmed. No hurry as current lease has months to run, just planning ahead because I can see this will take time to sort out.

I have two EO Mini 2 with a single CT clamp load managing one of them should we charge both our electric cars at the same time. We have this installed as we also have a 30A fuse for an 8Kw AC heat pump.

It was a faff getting it sorted in the first place as they original sent us a Mini 1 (old stock) which couldn't be managed but we got it sorted in the end.

Can't imagine there are many domestic installations of two chargers...

That is impressive! Exactly what I was looking for. That way if the installer agrees I can run a sensible 10mm sq size cable and manage the voltage drop with the Monitor function. The garage is 50 metres from the main consumer unit so the cable size rapidly gets big if you look to add full charging current and local mains and lighting.

There is an electric pole 15 metres away. I will check the cost of a new connection, but I suspect it will be easier to bury a 45 metre conduit and run from the house supply.

It all looks 100A ish, 25mm tails and night storage heaters, 100A main consumer unit, modern 100A label on the fuse holder. I guess the installer will get that confirmed. No hurry as current lease has months to run, just planning ahead because I can see this will take time to sort out.
25mm tails are now standard. 100A CU standard. 100A label means very little. Needs confirming what fuse is actually installed with the DNO.