Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargerpoint Charger qualifies for a rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am considering buying a Chargepoint charger. My company Southern California Edison offers a rebate up to $1,500 on installation of a Level II Charger but a separate meter needs to be installed as well and this cost is covered by a rebate as well. What is not covered is the cost of the charger. According to a friend of mine, the Chargepoint charger can act as a separate meter. My question to anyone who's installed this charger is do you know if this would qualify for a meter for the purpose of Time of Use and hence the cost of the charger itself could be passed on as that of a meter. In other words, the cost of the charger would be covered by the rebate as well?
thanks much.

I doubt SCE will use your charger as the TOU meter because it is dependent on your broadband and WiFi. They need to have direct access to the meter data. There could be other reasons why they wouldn’t accept this such as meter accuracy requirements, inaccessibility if installed in the garage, etc.

No.

I have done all this. When there was a submetering pilot program for a while, you could use a ChargePoint Home charger connected to the internet but to the house's main meter panel, and SCE would obtain usage info and deduct it from the total residential use and then price it at TOU-EV rates. At the time, separate rebates were available to offset the cost of the chargepoint.

Now you only have the 2 options for rebates, and the $1500 option requires you to get on TOU-EV-1, and that requires you to install a new dedicated service meter (and likely panel) unless you already have two meters.

BTW during the pilot program, they came out and measured the accuracy of the chargepoint data, and they obtained special access to chargepoint's meter data via a signup process. In a few years, this option of submetering may become a reality.