TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Chargers not included with new M3 Orders?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by DWdrum, Jun 12, 2019.

1. DWdrum

DWdrum Member

Hi everyone

Ordered an M3 yesterday. Sales guy said that the car doesn't come with a charger any more. Is this true? I have a 220V - 50A plug installed in my garage and was hoping I didn't have to cough up the $300 to $500 if I didn't need to.

Thanks for your reply in advance. Can't wait to get our new ride.

Mike

2. reheat

reheat Member

The NEMA 14-50 adapter is not included anymore, but the mobile charger should still be included.

• Like x 2
  3. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Member

Disclaimer I’m waiting on delivery as well.

The cars currently come with the mobile wall connector and 120V adapter. They do not come with the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

• Like x 1
  4. tfraley

tfraley Member

I picked up 3-4 weeks ago, the mobile charger is included and comes with a 120v.
    the Nema 14-50 is not included any longer'

I would suggest ordering one now if you need it took me weeks to get and they don't normally stock them at the dealership which I thought was crazy.

• Like x 2
  5. DWdrum

DWdrum Member

So basically, the only one it comes with is the Slow charger and not a 220V correct?

• Like x 1
  6. tfraley

tfraley Member

Correct. its the same charger you just have to buy the adapter. But they should stock them at dealership it stupid they don't

• Like x 1
  7. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

L to the [email protected]#[email protected] A
    You could look for the 14-50 HPWC that used to be sold thru Tesla...You might be lucky to find one on the classifieds.

I sold one out of 2 that I ordered a few months ago.

• Like x 1
  8. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Yes, go to the online shop for accessories, check out the plug adapters, I ordered a 30 amp 240 volt 14-30R for my situation.

• Like x 1
  9. therealmrmike

therealmrmike Member

Or you can make your own.

Tesla Wall Connector Installation

• Funny x 1
  10. davewill

davewill Active Member

You mean to suggest he should buy an entire wall connector rather than just the $35 adapter?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Not $300-$500, but you’re going to need the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter here:
    Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Choose “14-50” from the drop down box and that’s all you need.

The car will come with the Mobile Connector, but only a 120V plug adaptor. Add the one above and you’re good to go!

• Like x 1
  12. HyperionMark

HyperionMark Member

If there's a big delay for the 14-50, you can always get the 6-50 and have an electrician swap out the receptacle. Would take one like 15 minutes, if that.

13. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

It’s so dumb they aren’t stocked at the place of pickup. Such a big thing that stresses people out. Mine came with all the adaptors. Just think it’s dumb it isn’t included.

• Like x 1
  14. DWdrum

DWdrum Member

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the replies.

15. therealmrmike

therealmrmike Member

#15 therealmrmike, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Nope. It was mentioned to look for the 14-50 hpwc that tesla offered for a short time. I was only refering to a guide to make your own if so desired

16. DareRekt

DareRekt Member

I was told that since my car was an inventory car that it might include the 14-50, but the delivery advisor let me know that they had some in stock if not. I was about to order one, but I'm glad I didn't since they did indeed have them in stock. I wish they still included them, but it is what it is. I'm just glad I still got home link at least!

17. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

To be clear, all cars come with the charger. In the Model 3 it is beneath the rear seat.

What you are referring to is basically an extension cord. And specially an adapter.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla tends to call it "The Connector". Many in the industry call them EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.)

Tesla "Mobile Connector":
    Mobile Connector

A lot of people mistakenly call them "the charger" because they are used to things like laptops and phones that have a "power supply" (AKA "charger") as part of the cord.

One way to look at is "where is the AC to DC converter?" Yes, that is in the car for charging from AC at home. "The Connector" is basically just passing through the AC power to the car, and telling the car how much current it is allowed to pull.

On the other hand, DC quick chargers (like Superchargers, CHAdeMO, etc.) do have the "charger" outside of the car. They tend to be in a big cabinet somewhere near the charging spots.
    In that case the "charger" inside the car is bypassed and the external charger can send DC directly to the battery in the car.

• Like x 1