Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargers not included with new M3 Orders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

Ordered an M3 yesterday. Sales guy said that the car doesn't come with a charger any more. Is this true? I have a 220V - 50A plug installed in my garage and was hoping I didn't have to cough up the $300 to $500 if I didn't need to.

Thanks for your reply in advance. Can't wait to get our new ride.

Mike

Hi everyone

Ordered an M3 yesterday. Sales guy said that the car doesn't come with a charger any more. Is this true? I have a 220V - 50A plug installed in my garage and was hoping I didn't have to cough up the $300 to $500 if I didn't need to.

Mike
Disclaimer I’m waiting on delivery as well.

The cars currently come with the mobile wall connector and 120V adapter. They do not come with the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

Reactions: DWdrum
Hi everyone

Mike

Not $300-$500, but you’re going to need the $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter here:
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Choose “14-50” from the drop down box and that’s all you need.

The car will come with the Mobile Connector, but only a 120V plug adaptor. Add the one above and you’re good to go!

Reactions: BluestarE3
I was told that since my car was an inventory car that it might include the 14-50, but the delivery advisor let me know that they had some in stock if not. I was about to order one, but I'm glad I didn't since they did indeed have them in stock. I wish they still included them, but it is what it is. I'm just glad I still got home link at least!

To be clear, all cars come with the charger. In the Model 3 it is beneath the rear seat.
What you are referring to is basically an extension cord. And specially an adapter.

Tesla tends to call it "The Connector". Many in the industry call them EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.)

Tesla "Mobile Connector":
Mobile Connector

A lot of people mistakenly call them "the charger" because they are used to things like laptops and phones that have a "power supply" (AKA "charger") as part of the cord.

One way to look at is "where is the AC to DC converter?" Yes, that is in the car for charging from AC at home. "The Connector" is basically just passing through the AC power to the car, and telling the car how much current it is allowed to pull.

On the other hand, DC quick chargers (like Superchargers, CHAdeMO, etc.) do have the "charger" outside of the car. They tend to be in a big cabinet somewhere near the charging spots.
In that case the "charger" inside the car is bypassed and the external charger can send DC directly to the battery in the car.

Reactions: alexGS