Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargine at Meramec Caverns near St. Louis...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
My wife and I go to Branson, MO pretty frequently, and we were studying ways to get the Model S and Model X there without too much of a hassle. At 304 miles, it's quite a stretch, and there's not much along I-44 until we see more Superchargers built out. And, I don't want to have to tie up Evan's HPWC constantly, either. :)

Anyway, on our way back last week, we stopped in at two locations: Meramec's campground (open April 1-October 31), and the KOA in Sullivan, both off the same exit. Here's a quick review:

Meramec's Campground: about 60 electrified spots, NEMA 14-50, TT-30, and 5-15/20. Charging during the day costs only the $5 day-use fee, and you can use their beach on the river as well as barbecue and enjoy the playground while you charge at 40A on a 14-50. You can't beat this deal. Overnight is a $25 charge for electrified spaces - if you don't bring a tent, you can hoof it over to the hotel and pay $52 for one of their rooms (total $77 for the night, not too bad). As for the fee, the camp store called Claudia in the office, who is authoritative on the matter - just reference Claudia if any ranger tells you that you need an overnight permit. The caverns (Jesse James' hideout) are within easy walking distance from the campground - they're always a cool upper-60's temperature-wise. Around $20 for adults and $10 for kids 5-11 admission fee. The caverns are open year-round but the campground is not. I did not ask if I could park in the campground to charge anyway if we came in the winter.

KOA: The owner just didn't appear to think much of electric cars. She deduced that I had a Tesla based on my questions, she was aware of what it was, but just didn't seem happy about my questions. She said she would charge $25 for charging the car during the day and as an additional fee overnight, even if you rented a cabin for the night and space was available. If you don't rent a cabin, expect to pay full RV space fees for the night ($40+). I wasn't impressed. Like Meramec, they are closed during the winter as well. I sent a note to the KOA corporate office, and they say that they've issued a bulletin to their member campgrounds on which J1772 equipment to purchase (which seems absolutely asinine). I get the sense that they don't understand how much electric vehicles might fuel their rebirth.

As for my trips, it's just over 105 miles to Meramec Caverns, which leaves just over 200 miles to Ridgedale (195 to Branson). That's largely do-able at 65. Not sure about 70 mph (speed limit) in MO with the hills. At some point in the future we're going to make the test run but I may have to borrow Evan's HPWC for an hour or two to guarantee we make it.

- - - Updated - - -

Grr. Mods, correct my typonese in the thread title? Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks for the information, I just completed my first trip to the lake last weekend from St. Louis. We are right at 250 miles and we made it with 20 miles of range left. We had good conditions and repeated the trip home a little faster with about the same 20 miles left when we reached home. It is always nice to know where you can grab some extra miles if needed so thanks for sharing your experience .