Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging 40amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I was at a charging station, a Tesla destination charger and it said it was charging at 40 amps. I thought a model 3 would only go up to 32 amps am I wrong? I lowered it while it was charging and now I read Tesla says not to lower or higher the amps while it's charging. Did I some how mess up my car by doing this? It does not appear to have messed anything up but I don't know much about EV's yet.

No harm at all. The SR will do 32A. The LR and P 48A. My guess is the Tesla Destination charger was hooked to a 50A circuit which allows 40A (80%) charging. If your car had a max of 32A AC, there is no way it would allow higher so my guess is you have a LR/P which supports 48A so no issues.
I wasn't aware Tesla didn't recommend upping/lowering the amperage while charging. Is that in the manual? I've done it several times with no issues whatsoever.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
No harm at all. The SR will do 32A. The LR and P 48A. My guess is the Tesla Destination charger was hooked to a 50A circuit which allows 40A (80%) charging. If your car had a max of 32A AC, there is no way it would allow higher so my guess is you have a LR/P which supports 48A so no issues.
I wasn't aware Tesla didn't recommend upping/lowering the amperage while charging. Is that in the manual? I've done it several times with no issues whatsoever.
Thank you for your reply, I do have a long range version. Someone on another support site said he talked with Tesla support and they said don't lower or higher the amps while charging. With that said, I can't find that info in the manual or anywhere else so he might have misunderstood.
Where did you read that? That is always fine to do. That is a software control that is made available to you, and it handles those adjustments very gracefully, so you can mess with that as much as you want.
Thank you for telling me that. I read it on anther support site, I will try and find it. Basically it was just another person saying he talked with someone at Tesla support and they said never adjust the amps while it's charging. I could not find anything in the manual about this and he might have been totally wrong.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, I do have a long range version. Someone on another support site said he talked with Tesla support and they said don't lower or higher the amps while charging. With that said, I can't find that info in the manual or anywhere else so he might have misunderstood.

Thank you for telling me that. I read it on anther support site, I will try and find it. Basically it was just another person saying he talked with someone at Tesla support and they said never adjust the amps while it's charging. I could not find anything in the manual about this and he might have been totally wrong.

This is very classic "telephone game", (" I read that someone else talked to tesla and they said that tesla said that......").

Your original thought:

I thought a model 3 would only go up to 32 amps am I wrong?

Was incorrect. Model 3 SR+ (now called RWD in 2022) can only go up to 32 amps. Long range model 3s can go up to 48amps. Since you have a long range model 3, your car can go up to 48amps.

Did I some how mess up my car by doing this?

No, you didnt. You may have read about people recommending to not turn the amps up and down in the app, but that was because there was some "quirkiness" in changing the amps in the app and getting them to change back, or, people DEPENDING on "setting the amps in the app" to limit charging speed instead of setting up their charging properly to do it via the infrastructure itself, instead of the car.

I suspect that either one of those reasons above is why you read " dont change it in the app" somewhere, but its already passed through a few different people in your retelling of it here so we dont know. I am just telling you the general info we have on it.

There isnt anything wrong with turning it up or down in the app, you didnt break anything, and if you want to turn it down for some reason you can, but there is NO reason to "turn it down" as it relates to the CAR itself.

There might be reasons to turn down the amps for something other than the car, but there is no reason related to the car itself to do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0