Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a model 3 in Europe

thanar

Oct 5, 2016
Greece
In preparation of You You Xue's newest endeavor to road trip around Europe with his US model 3, and since he will (possibly) be visiting my place as well for charging, I thought I'd ask for some information on supported AC charging modes.

I do not have a Tesla yet, but many people have visited and successfully charged their EVs using the 3phase 220V/16A CEE plug I have installed. 3 visiting model S and a Renault ZOE managed to get full 11kW of charging power, I don't remember the case with a Nissan Leaf.

So, the question in context: What's the fastest way a US model 3 can charge in Europe?

CO2CLEAN

Olivier Willemsen
Apr 3, 2015
Netherlands
In preparation of You You Xue's newest endeavor to road trip around Europe with his US model 3, and since he will (possibly) be visiting my place as well for charging, I thought I'd ask for some information on supported AC charging modes.

I do not have a Tesla yet, but many people have visited and successfully charged their EVs using the 3phase 220V/16A CEE plug I have installed. 3 visiting model S and a Renault ZOE managed to get full 11kW of charging power, I don't remember the case with a Nissan Leaf.

So, the question in context: What's the fastest way a US model 3 can charge in Europe?

I believe the US spec has only a 1 phase charger, since that is the standard in the US. Also, the Supercharger plug is different. I'm curious how he will make sure he can charge his car in the EU without it taking too long.

davewill

Feb 5, 2014
San Diego, CA, US
CHAdeMO, with the adapter. At your place, the best they could manage would be 220v 16a or 3.5kW. At a 32a public charging point it would be double that. Are you sure that isn't 230v, which is more normal in Europe? Anyway, The normal way to charge a US spec car would be to use a Type 1 (J1772) adapter cable (like a LEAF would use) with the J1772 to TESLA adapter at a public charge station. I think your home station is likely to have the cable integrated, which means that it would require some sort of custom adapter.

MikeBur

ManualPilot
Dec 8, 2014
Seattle, WA
CHAdeMO, with the adapter. At your place, the best they could manage would be 220v 16a or 3.5kW. At a 32a public charging point it would be double that. Are you sure that isn't 230v, which is more normal in Europe? Anyway, The normal way to charge a US spec car would be to use a Type 1 (J1772) adapter cable (like a LEAF would use) with the J1772 to TESLA adapter at a public charge station. I think your home station is likely to have the cable integrated, which means that it would require some sort of custom adapter.
I don’t believe CHAdeMO is enabled still for 3. At least not on 18.4.9.

Watching thread to understand what SpC options there are

DC fast charging

Even with an adaptor that allows the North America specification Model 3 (or any Tesla) to physically plug into a European Supercharger with Mennekes Type 2 style plug, the car is not going to charge.

I would wait until the CHAdeMO adaptor is working. Any CHAdeMO station will be limited to 125 amps with the Tesla / CHAdeMO adaptor, therefore the maximum charge rate will likely be 48-50kW.

This will add about 3 miles per minute.

AC charging

The adaptor from Type 1 to Type 2 is simple enough, to allow:

11kW station = 230v * 16 amps = 3.5kW into the single phase Tesla charger = 10-15 miles per hour added

22kW station = 230v * 32 amps = 7kW into the single phase Tesla charger = 20-30 miles per hour added

Painfully slow Type 1

Using a Type 1 (J1772) charge station at 13 amps? with the US specification J1772 adaptor would be painfully slow, but easy.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
So right now if I use a EU public charging station to recharge my Tesla Model 3 made in US what's the fastest charging rate I can get? 45km per hour? Is it possible to have some other charging stations at faster rate?

That is my understanding. Maybe by then Tesla will have added support to the Model 3 for the CHAdeMO adapter, and you could buy one of them and then use CHAdeMO stations in the EU.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
"Tesla advises the Tesla Wall Connector as the most convenient home charging solution for your Model 3.
So indeed, the same charging station will work for the Model 3, as it does for Model S&X.
The Model 3 allows a maximum charge rate of 11kW, which equals an added range of about 60km/h. Both 1-phase as well as 3-phase connection is possible.
This enables you to wake up with a fully charged Model 3 every morning!"

Sad thing is, that Teslas don’t come anymore with the three phase red industrial socket mobile connector, but only with 1 phase 16 amp plug.

Alfred

Supporting Member
May 28, 2009
Zurich
I have not yet seen what the EU-Versions will sport as a cable set. I would anyway consider buying a travel set such as the one below (or some of that):
01_el-jb2g3_overview.jpg

Attachments

• 01_el-jb2g3_overview.jpg
    01_el-jb2g3_overview.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 8

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC