TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging a Model S with a Small Petrol Generator

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by alpal, Sep 19, 2016.

1. alpal

alpal Member

I know it goes against the grain but I tried to charge my Tesla with a portable petrol generator(inverter) with no success. My UMC kept flashing 3 times indicating there's a problem with the UMC itself. But I can use it with a 10amp power point just fine. I even tried earthing the generator. Has anyone here ever tried to do this?

2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

See the discussion at this thread, and in particular, this suggestion about how to install a couple of resistors in order to pass the grounding safety test when using a generator.

I haven't tried this myself but seems like it works on the Nissan LEAF. I don't know if it works with a Tesla.

You may also need a generator that puts out a relatively high quality sine wave like the Honda generator being discussed there.

charging on generator - Page 4 - My Nissan Leaf Forum

3. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

i live near you Apal. if you wish i can check your gen set and try var earthing arrangements. I can charge my car with a non-sinusoidal power supply. also have two honda sets which work well,.

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> I can charge my car with a non-sinusoidal [electricdave]

Which car is this? And how non-sine is it, any scope photos?
    --

5. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

My car is an S 85D. The home power supply is a semisquare inverter with the pulse width varied to provide correct average voltage of 240V. The Tes charger will only work when there is adequate sunlight to charge the batteries.

6. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

This guy on YouTube answers this well, you need a certain feature on the generator apparently, have a look,

7. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

In this video he shows 2 different portable generators. The Honda doesn't work when he plugs it into his Model S and he mentions you can get it to work by making an adapter.

The instructions for making the adapter are in the link I posted earlier:

charging on generator - Page 4 - My Nissan Leaf Forum

The other portable unit made by Generac does work without needing a homemade adapter. It's also $250 cheaper at Amazon. The downside is that 22% of the reviewers gave it 1 star for bad build quality and poor reliability whereas the Honda has excellent review ratings.

Otherwise, both units appear to be roughly similar in noise, size, and weight. The Generac may have a somewhat fancier display and controls.

8. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

My Honda Euro 7i worked first time. It is an inverter type with variable speed & will do 5500W continuous but I have had it doing 32A @ 240V charging the Tes.