Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a power bank with Tesla M3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you supply a brand/model? There's not >quite< enough information there to give a hard answer. I found one that sort of meets your description on ebay and it says it has a 296wh battery, which is sort of a joke size. 3.7Vx80000mah. So it could be charged approximately 250 times on your fully charged 75kwh battery, assuming 100% efficiency and infinite time. That tiny battery won't power much for long. Again, assuming 100% efficiency you'll get an hour while using 300 watts. Notably, this all doesn't really matter because the recharge rate is 60W, so for every full charge it'll take five solid hours of tesla awake time(During which the Tesla will be using 250W staying awake so the cigarette lighter stays turned on delivering 60W! This means I should update my answer above... it could be recharged approximately 50 times. And those 50 times will take approximately 10 days of continuous charging(ignoring the hour every 5 hours you get to use the power)

I'm not sure how much you can steal directly from the 12V battery, but its a much better option than the cigarette lighter, at least the car wouldn't have to stay awake to keep the powerbank charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
yeah you need to be reaaalllll careful when you start doing anything beyond tapping off the cigarette lighter port to charge something. I've been to my share of festivals, I'm assuming this means music festival or anything that involves people who consume things over multiple days. People who have been consuming things may not be fully in their right minds, or just not able to make safe decisions. You should not have any kind of DIY powering job that could affect safety. The thread and blog linked above is for experienced hobbyists trying to power stuff around the house, not people out in the middle of nowhere on a camping trip with very little experience doing this kind of stuff.

OP can you link to the actual power bank so we can read more about it? It sounds like you just want something to charge your phone when you're not near the car? What's your actual use case, do you want to be able to plug in normal 120V AC powered lights and such or is it straightforward charging of mobile devices only? In that case, depending on the length of the festival, you may be able to pre charge the power bank at home, charge your phones in the car overnight, and "top off" the power bank via a power inverter or something. Remember that the car has camp mode already, it's designed to charge devices by USB port or wirelessly, and you will be returning to it daily.

As far as actually draining the Tesla's battery, 80,000 milliamp hours for a cell phone power bank is nothing in comparison to the huge battery in a Tesla. The bigger concern is straining your 12 volt battery via the cigarette lighter. Again DO NOT allow people, yourself included, who have been consuming anything, around something that has been tapped into your cars electrical system (actual 12 volt battery, DC-DC converter, whatever) beyond the cigarette lighter port or USB ports. Even if you and your friends are very responsible people, you run into all sorts of characters at festivals.

Last edited:
It's not hard to charge them at up to 140w from the cig lighter. In fact, most of these power banks won't charge at much more than 60w,

The curse is this. To turn on the cig lighter socket, you need to turn on the Tesla computer, which draws around 250w. It's terrible. So to draw 60w you need to also draw 250w and that is the actual drain in your Tesla battery. I have an article about driving a road trip with a 12v fridge. Such fridges draw around 40w on a 30% duty cycle, so the Tesla battery should barely notice it if you want to keep it cold all night (which you do.) But in fact it does because you have to stop the Tesla from going to sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H