Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Tesla on a VW account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you have the CCS1 adapter for your Tesla, can you use your Electrify America account that is tied to your Volkswagen ID4 to charge your Tesla? Do the Electrify America Chargers know which car is attached to their charge units?
I don’t know but I suspect the CCS protocol allows VIN query so you'll be out of luck for a different VIN.

So is that how Tesla’s work?
I don’t know about now but originally, Supercharger only queries whether your car has an enable bit (bit=0 or 1). Very crude. No VIN needed.

If you car is salvaged, Tesla would push an disable bit to your car. That's how Supercharger would refuse to charge a salvage title.

That means, if you know how to do it, you just need to flip a bit in your car.

Now that Tesla is accepting CCS. Its Plug & Charge feature ISO 15118 would allow VIN authentication.

It's unknown whether that protocol is widely implemented in public Fast DC just yet. Before that protocol, the control is from your RIFD card/phone with no VIN needed.

Last edited:
I don’t know but I suspect the CCS protocol allows VIN query so you'll be out of luck for a different VIN.
CCS essentially sends the MAC address of the vehicle. It's how QuickCharge works. (Some older vehicles can't do it). It's theoretically spoofable, but I'd expect low reward.

Plug & Charge is more secure and has some other security mechanism that has an individual user id.

It’s hit or miss. I think it depends on the brand of charger. I have tried my ID.4 account on various EVs - Model 3, Mach-E, MINI electric, i4… and it only has worked on a specific brand of charger. I think it’s either ABB or Signet.
I’ve never heard of anyone having an issue on the ID.4 forums or subreddit. It’s always worked flawlessly on any charger I’ve used, new or old style EA.

Could yours just be a case of the charger not working for any vehicle regardless of the plan?

Reactions: Daekwan
How did you go about it? Did you just activate the charge with your phone? I’m sure this only works with Electrify America chargers.

Start charge using EA app with ID.4 plan selected - pick the charger and start charge.

When it works... you get a free charge.

But some charger stalls know your car is not an ID.4 and will switch the plan to your non-ID.4 plan and bill you.

How did you go about it? Did you just activate the charge with your phone? I’m sure this only works with Electrify America chargers.
Correct. Plug in the car, tap the phone on the charger with my EA card selected, (VW is my default plan), and it starts charging.

Every charger I’ve used on the east coast has worked with it in whatever vehicle I happened to be in.

Correct. Plug in the car, tap the phone on the charger with my EA card selected, (VW is my default plan), and it starts charging.

Every charger I’ve used on the east coast has worked with it in whatever vehicle I happened to be in.
@voxel Just wanted to update this thread, my Model Y did *not* work on the ID.4 charging plan a few days ago. This is the first time it hasn't worked since having the plan. It last worked sometime in October. The stations are becoming aware indeed. :)

FWIW I was at the Allentown PA Electrify America station.

Reactions: voxel
@voxel Just wanted to update this thread, my Model Y did *not* work on the ID.4 charging plan a few days ago. This is the first time it hasn't worked since having the plan. It last worked sometime in October. The stations are becoming aware indeed. :)

I think a lot of the chargers are now checking your vin number. :(

So if you have the CCS1 adapter for your Tesla, can you use your Electrify America account that is tied to your Volkswagen ID4 to charge your Tesla? Do the Electrify America Chargers know which car is attached to their charge units?
The answer is yes. I do this 2-3x a week. Been trying to keep quieter about it, now that CCS1 adapter is sold directly from Tesla on the US website.. and it appears many dual-EV homes are now figuring this out.

Start charge using EA app with ID.4 plan selected - pick the charger and start charge.

When it works... you get a free charge.

But some charger stalls know your car is not an ID.4 and will switch the plan to your non-ID.4 plan and bill you.
Will start to pay attention to charging station model. That said I drive my car between DC and NYC.. have never been charged and its still working free for me. I will say that I don't think Im using any new charging sites.. as the equipment looks pretty well used.

There goes my reason to buy an id4 instead of a MY as my second car.