TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging Adapter very Hot warning

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Mucall, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Mucall

Mucall Member

246B6C36-E094-449D-8267-B5E3DB873E9F.jpeg Has anyone had this issue before.? My first time after a year+ ownership and lots of long distance trips.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd recommend trying some contact cleaner on both sides. Probably making a poor connection, which increases resistance and therefore heating.

• Like x 1
  3. Mucall

Mucall Member

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. By the way this was using the Chademo adapter

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If it happens again, feel it to determine if it's the car plug, the Chademo plug, or the adapter box thing that is hot.

5. Mucall

Mucall Member

The handle was the hottest, charge door area was normal, the big black piece and the actual chademo hose were not hot at all. Next charge I will check those again. Thanks again

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, never seen that before. Do you have a relatively recent Chademo adapter? Obviously there is a temperature sensor in it somewhere...

7. Mucall

Mucall Member

I bough it a year ago

8. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes I have seen this with the CHADeMO adapter. It was on a very hot day and the sun was shining directly on the adapter. My adapter is one of the very first ones. They always had a temperature sensor built in.

• Like x 1
  9. Mucall

Mucall Member

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing the info.