TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging Adapter

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by rudholm, Mar 4, 2018.

1. rudholm

rudholm Member

Once in a while I have visitors that have cars with J1772 charge ports. My garage is set up to charge my Roadster. Has anyone seen a Roadster to J1772 adapter.

(Not asking about charging a Roadster with a J1772 charger, I have a CAN-JR)

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

You can cut the Roadster connector off your charging setup and replace it with a J1772 head and use your CanJr all the time.

But, no, I’ve never seen anything that converted from Roadster to J1772. That would be an extremely limited use case.

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Actually many early Roadster chargers were converted to J1772 by the site hosts... the one at Atascadero Rabobank comes to mind... Clipper Creek made those, I believe, perhaps they have a kit they can sell you to go J1772.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Tesla made a similar adapter for a couple years after the Model S came out that went from Roadster to Model S. You could then stack an adapter that went Model S to J1772. You can't get it from Tesla anymore but once in a while one pops up on ebay or the Marketplace section of TMC.

5. gregd

gregd Active Member

What is the Roadster charging rate currently? If you're hard-wired into a 50 amp circuit, it might be easier to convert the charger and wiring to a 14-50 outlet and let the visitor charge from there (unplugging the Roadster's charger). Or, just add a 14-50 outlet to the garage. It's kind of the universal home EV charging outlet, and can be used for other things (e.g. RVs).

6. rudholm

rudholm Member

I thought about that, but I was hoping to avoid stacking adapters for cost and complexity reasons.

I do have a 14-50R available, but I'm finding that my friends who drive other EV brands tend to not have portable Level 2 chargers. They seem to have non-portable L2 chargers in their garage and the Level 1 (120V 12A) charger that comes included with the car. I have found that the Level 1 chargers that come with the Chevy Bolt/Volt and Fiat 500e will happily handle 240V 12A so I bought a 14-60/14-50/14-30 to 6-15/6-20 extension cord and a 6-15 to "Worldwide" travel adapter to put on the end of it. This way, my visitors can plug their L1 chargers into my NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet and charge at 240V 12A, which isn't too bad. (that travel adapter is rated for 10A so I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get hot).

IMG_20180305_140342.jpg IMG_20180305_140412.jpg

That travel adapter was about $5 from some random vendor on amazon, and that very nice extension cord was $70 from EVSEadapters.com. I have nothing but good things to say about them, they have lots of adapters, cords, and chargers and even made a custom extension cord for me so I can plug my UMC into old dryer outlets 50' away.

Ultimately, I suppose the best solution would be to just buy a 32A J1772 portable charger for visitors.

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

I have the Clipper Creek made Tesla Charger and Clipper Creek happily sold me a new cable with the J1772 adapter on it. It was very easy to open the box and unscrew the old cable and screw in the new one. This was several years ago, so you should call them and see if they still sell the cable. Here's a copy of the quote they originally sent me:

upload_2018-3-5_14-56-32.png

8. rudholm

rudholm Member

I don't want to replace the Roadster charger with the J1772 charger since mainly it's a Roadster that I charge at my house.

Do you still have that Roadster cable you removed from your Clipper Creek charger? I might be interested in it for a future project.

9. gregd

gregd Active Member

I think so. No point disturbing a perfectly good Roadster charging setup.

I have one from OpenEVSE, 14-50 plug and a J1772 termination. It does the full 40 amps, but they have smaller models for less money. Well under $500, if I recall.

10. ThisoldRoadstr

I have this adapter, check my thread in the parts sub-category.

11. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere in the garage.