Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adapters for better coverage road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to figure out a good set/combination of adapters to keep on road trips that will give me good coverage for charging options. Specifically, I want to get good coverage in places of overnight stay like in an Airbnb, hotel, RV parks and campsites. Is it worth getting the NEMA adapter bundle from Tesla? Or, can I just get 1-2 of them like 14-50 and 14-30 along with a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for RV sites? What would be the kinds of scenarios where other adapters in the NEMA bundle can be helpful (as you can imagine, I am not well versed with the types of plugs and their common uses)?

Apologies if this question has been answered before. I tried searching but couldn't find enough info that I was looking for. Please point me to the thread if it has been answered.

5-20 is an underrated one that I've found most useful; the 33% boost vs the 5-15 (16 vs 12A) makes a world of difference when you just use a random outlet outside an Airbnb or similar for 8-10h at night. Other than that, the 14-50 (with the TT-30 adapter) and the J1772 that comes with the car should be plenty for most trips, except if you have an already defined need for another adapter (say at work charging)

Reactions: rauthar
I wanted to figure out a good set/combination of adapters to keep on road trips that will give me good coverage for charging options. Specifically, I want to get good coverage in places of overnight stay like in an Airbnb, hotel, RV parks and campsites. Is it worth getting the NEMA adapter bundle from Tesla? Or, can I just get 1-2 of them like 14-50 and 14-30 along with a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for RV sites? What would be the kinds of scenarios where other adapters in the NEMA bundle can be helpful (as you can imagine, I am not well versed with the types of plugs and their common uses)?

Apologies if this question has been answered before. I tried searching but couldn't find enough info that I was looking for. Please point me to the thread if it has been answered.

Some older motels have 6-20 outlets for air conditioners near the front door. Crappy part is that you have to run the cable out your door or window and you have to choose between charging your car or running the AC. But you can usually get (16A)(208V) = 3.3kW.

Reactions: rauthar
Get a 5-20 adapter and a long 20-amp outdoor extension cord (make sure it will plug into both a 5-15 and a 5-20 plug. You will need a 12-gauge cord for up to 50’ and 8-gauge for 100’

The 14-50 should be good at most RV parks. A standard TT-30 to 14-50 adapter will not work, if you feel you need to go that route you will need one made for Tesla.

Is it worth getting the NEMA adapter bundle from Tesla? Or, can I just get 1-2 of them like 14-50 and 14-30 along with a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for RV sites? What would be the kinds of scenarios where other adapters in the NEMA bundle can be helpful (as you can imagine, I am not well versed with the types of plugs and their common uses)?

Here goes, but it is just my personal take on the matter:

5-15 and 5-20: L1 charging at homes
10-30 and 14-30: L2 charging using "dryer" outlets
TT-30: 24 amps at 120v at RV parks
14-50: 32 amps using mobile connector at 240 volts. RV parks, etc, etc. I think the most useful adapter by far
CHAdeMO: No, really
High quality extension cable

Optional:
6-20 (per nwdiver)

By my count you save a few dollars instead of the package deal but you don't get the nice carrying case <<shrug>>

Better yet, instead of a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter, this seems better since it also tells the Tesla to correctly set the load to 24-amps.

Cut & paste of a post I put in "My All Round Charging Kit" in Aug2021:

When I bought my Tesla in the spring of 2016 and, over the next year and a half, I bought a whole bunch of adapters. Chademo (necessary in the Maritimes in 2018 or sooner), 14-30, 10-30, TT-30 (nonTesla), 240v extension cord (24a with adapter to convert 14-50 and TT30 to 14-30), and the 14-50 that came with the car. I have used my 5-15 as much as all the others combined. Adapters were useful then but not so much now with so many more charging options around both superchargers and others. If you travel off the beaten path then the need increases eg. eastern New Brunswick, much of Nova Scotia, PEI. northeastern Ont., Manitoba north of the trans-Canada.

If I were starting over in 2021 I would first ask myself how much am I going off the beaten path? If yes I would get Chademo, Tesla extension cord
NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters or similar. I would tailor the rest on what I planned to do. If I was to be at RV parks then 14-50 and TT-30, if staying at friends then 14-30 or 10-30 is more likely to be useful, if campground in Ont. then TT-30, if traveling in the US 5-20 as I understand that they are quite common outdoor plugs there, if at a marina or yacht club then L5-30, if at a friend who is a welder then 6-50, if souther US then maybe 6-15 or 6-20 to use air conditioner plugs.

Overview of North American plugs: cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

I keep hoping that Quick220 will make their product compatible with GFI circuits and not require opposite phases for their unit. I realize it would be more expensive/complicated but either 240v 12a or 120v 24a output would suit our Teslas just fine. This would become my second most useful plug after 5-15 and tied with Chademo and J1772.