Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adapters for travel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of my MY next Monday. I will be installing a wall charger in the garage, but am wondering what adapters I will need to be able to take advantage of the majority of non Tesla charging stations while traveling.

While there may be responses like *buying them all* would cover 99% of everything, (save for the really weird connectors out there), and many more that can buy absolutely nothing and only use what came with the car (which certainly works!), I'd say some plugs are much more popular than others. These I found to be overwhelmingly popular.

5-15 - included with the car. And found everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Problem its just so slooooow.

J1772 - This is the L2 240V standard for non-Tesla EV's. You can get almost 30 miles of range per hour, depending on the provider. Not all give you max power, some are limited to 16amps, 20 amps 240 amps, etc. This adapter is also free and comes with the car.

5-20 - Underrated. This is sort of the hidden gem of plugs. Many wall outlets that look like normal are 5-20 (once you figure out how to ID them) and give an extra 2-3 miles per charge over the 5-15, and this added little bit helps a lot.

14-30 - Electric dryer plug, very common and seen in a lot of garages. This gives ok amount of range, about 20 miles per hour of charge

14-50 - Almost the standard for L2 charging, can be found in RV parks, homes, and various other high voltage electricity might be found. Almost 30 miles of range per hour.

6-50 - Not as common as the above, these are primarily for welders. Just as fast as the 14-50, just looks different. Sometimes found in industrial garages or workplaces, and even rarer in homes, unless someone intentionally installs them because they don't use a neutral wire.

Tesla CHaDeMO adapter. Expensive, but can be a lifesaver if you happen to be in a place that has numerous non-Tesla DC chargers and the nearest supercharger is miles away. I've found this to be of use many times when I just happen to be in a lot with EVGo or EA chargers and needing a little bit of charge.

Setec CCS adapter. Also expensive, but CCS happens to be the *in* standard for non-Tesla DC charging. Also since its non-Tesla, some chargers may be iffy. FIrmware updates every month and getting arguably better.

Last edited:
While there may be responses like *buying them all* would cover 99% of everything, (save for the really weird connectors out there), that can get really expensive, and I'd say some are much more popular than others. These I found to be overwhelmingly popular.

5-15 - included with the car. And found everywhere, and I mean everywhere! Problem its just so slooooow.

5-20 - Underrated. This is sort of the hidden gem of plugs. Many wall outlets that look like normal are 5-20 (once you figure out how to ID them) and give an extra 2-3 miles per charge over the 5-15, and this added little bit helps a lot.

14-30 - Electric dryer plug, very common and seen in a lot of garages. This gives ok amount of range, about 20 miles per hour of charge

14-50 - Almost the standard for L2 charging, can be found in RV parks, homes, and various other high voltage electricity might be found. over 30 miles of range per hour.

6-50 - Not as common as the above, these are primarily for welders. Just as fast as the 14-50, just looks different. Sometimes found in industrial garages or workplaces, and even rarer in homes, unless someone intentionally installs them because they don't use a neutral wire.

Tesla CHaDeMO adapter. Expensive, but can be a lifesaver if you happen to be in a place that has numerous non-Tesla DC chargers and the nearest supercharger is miles away. I've found this to be of use many times when I just happen to be in a lot with EVGo or EA chargers and needing a little bit of charge.

Setec CCS adapter. Also expensive, but CCS happens to be the *in* standard for non-Tesla DC charging. Also since its non-Tesla, some chargers may be iffy. FIrmware updates every month and getting arguably better.
Ty for the info! Would this product work?

Probably, but you needn't buy something that extravagant. Non-Tesla EV's can use those. Tesla sells the interchangeable plugs directly which will work with the included charger. One of the brilliant (and underrated) of Tesla engineering design.

Reactions: birchsport