Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging adapters that come with model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the delivery centers are going to have them available for purchase?? Dont want either of these situations to happen:

Order online now, car already has one

Car doesn't have one, order online when that is discovered, have to wait days before able to charge car

I got this message from Tesla’s online chat -
“Beginning April 22, 2019, the NEMA 14-50 adapter will no longer come standard with the purchase of a Tesla car, the adapter will be available for purchase separately on shop.tesla.com
Has anyone taken delivery of their car lately without a Nema 14-50 adapter?
When i ordered the car, it said it would come with that.
I guess thats the Tesla way, promise one thing and deliver something different.

I guess they must be short on stock of 14-50 adapters now.
Or 1 out of 6 ppl only wanted the adapter, so they nickle and dimed customers now, even though the website says all the vehicles come with it.
I will be wiring up for 14-50 adapter, so i guess i better buy oneone bef they are all gone, or ill have an EV that i will have to charge on 110....oh joy..

I will be wiring up for 14-50 adapter, so i guess i better buy oneone bef they are all gone, or ill have an EV that i will have to charge on 110....oh joy..

AFAIK, Tesla has not announced that they're discontinuing the NEMA 14-50 adapter; they've just announced that they won't be including it with the car from now on. Thus, you should be able to buy one even if your car doesn't come with one. Speculation about Tesla's future plans regarding the EVSEs that come with the car is pretty pointless, especially if your focus is on a car you've already ordered, or that you plan to order soon.

AFAIK, Tesla has not announced that they're discontinuing the NEMA 14-50 adapter; they've just announced that they won't be including it with the car from now on. Thus, you should be able to buy one even if your car doesn't come with one. Speculation about Tesla's future plans regarding the EVSEs that come with the car is pretty pointless, especially if your focus is on a car you've already ordered, or that you plan to order soon.
When i ordered, the ad said the 14-50 connector came with the car. I guess, ill take the purchase price of the adapter off of the total price of the car.

Understand I am reliving an old thread. Bit confused as to what charging gear I should expect to come with the model Y. Do the 3's come with the portable charger and does this charger come with the 240V adapter so it is actually useful? Or is this something I need to order and have when it arrives?

Understand I am reliving an old thread. Bit confused as to what charging gear I should expect to come with the model Y. Do the 3's come with the portable charger and does this charger come with the 240V adapter so it is actually useful? Or is this something I need to order and have when it arrives?

They all come with the portable charger, but it's only for 120v.
You can buy the 240v adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

To cut cost they stripped everything out but the most basic, 5 days for a full charge, regular socket charger.

Basically a slap in the face.

I doubt that will last long though. You can’t keep raising the prices but not give customers at least a 240 charger. Hopefully for your Y they won’t be cheap. Congrats on the order, btw.

Thanks for the info so I need to purchase the 14-50, 6-50 adapter to make use of this gear. That is what I thought but then also had no logic for explaining why.

If I were you I’d wait closer to launch before ordering the adapter. Tesla changes things week to week, and they can’t go any lower than they are now in regards to chargers, hahaha. So time is on your side.

I doubt that will last long though. You can’t keep raising the prices but not give customers at least a 240 charger.
The 240V charger is inside the vehicle. The 240V capable EVSE is also included. They just aren't trying to read people's minds to predict exactly which type of outlet they will be installing.

so I need to purchase the 14-50, 6-50 adapter to make use of this gear. That is what I thought but then also had no logic for explaining why.
I think you just pointed out the "why" of this. With much broader install bases, it doesn't make as much sense to always try to default everyone to a 14-50 outlet. A 6-50 or 6-30 or 14-30 are other perfectly usable choices, and then they aren't giving out hundreds of thousands of 14-50 adapters of which maybe a fourth or a fifth or so might not even be used.

I think you just pointed out the "why" of this. With much broader install bases, it doesn't make as much sense to always try to default everyone to a 14-50 outlet. A 6-50 or 6-30 or 14-30 are other perfectly usable choices, and then they aren't giving out hundreds of thousands of 14-50 adapters of which maybe a fourth or a fifth or so might not even be used.

I have settled on having to purchase the 6-50 welder adapter (out of stock) as there are may rugged, all weather extension chords that can plug into it. Not too many all weather extension chords for dryers. I hoped for the cost of the vehicle you would get all your countries adapters (at least the common ones) with the car charger. Is what it is, bit on the classy side.