Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I believe I was thinking 14-50. Thanks for the actual math!

So that’s $1.80 per night, give or take. Or like dropping by and grabbing a 1/2 gal of gas for free.
In my case, I was paying a ridiculous $125/month for parking and I estimated that I "stole" $40/month in electricity. It made the horrendous monthly fee more bearable :) Also, management was aware of what I was doing. I even told them roughly how much electricity it would be and that it was far less than the monthly parking fee and they were fine with that.

Reactions: brkaus
In my case, I was paying a ridiculous $125/month for parking and I estimated that I "stole" $40/month in electricity. It made the horrendous monthly fee more bearable :) Also, management was aware of what I was doing. I even told them roughly how much electricity it would be and that it was far less than the monthly parking fee and they were fine with that.
Same. My apartment complex charges between $130 (main garage) to $175 (upper garage, EV charging stall) per month. I'd rather just buy the adapter for the 5-20 plug and save $45/mo. Plus the EV charging spots are all compact-sized, whereas some 5-20 outlets are next to standard size parking spots.

Same. My apartment complex charges between $130 (main garage) to $175 (upper garage, EV charging stall) per month. I'd rather just buy the adapter for the 5-20 plug and save $45/mo. Plus the EV charging spots are all compact-sized, whereas some 5-20 outlets are next to standard size parking spots.
Well at least you have an L2 option! I would have gladly paid the extra money for an actual EV charger, but my property management was grossly incompetent. I mentioned the need for EV charging about once a year starting in 2015 and always got the "we're looking into it" response. In 2020, they told me they were finally getting around to it. And I said "Great! I was already planning on moving out next month!" lol. The only good news is they were too lazy/incompetent to care or figure out how to charge me for L1 charging :)

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Well at least you have an L2 option! I would have gladly paid the extra money for an actual EV charger, but my property management was grossly incompetent. I mentioned the need for EV charging about once a year starting in 2015 and always got the "we're looking into it" response. In 2020, they told me they were finally getting around to it. And I said "Great! I was already planning on moving out next month!" lol. The only good news is they were too lazy/incompetent to care or figure out how to charge me for L1 charging :)
Small favors! Haha

Thank you so much! I'll look into it. Are there any recommended/reliable brands of extension cord?
I think Yellow Jacket is one pretty reliable option:

I feel it's fine as long as they know the approx amount. I also feel it's better to be unmonitored and offered at a monthly fee instead of a high priced EVSE that has billing, etc. Way too much overhead with the fancy EVSE and the billing service. Makes a $40/month expense into a $100+ expense :(

Remember that you don't need to daily recharge the same amount that you used that day. A lot of people drive a bit more during the day than they can recharge at night from a basic 120V/15A plug, but then make up for that by plugging in for longer periods over the weekend.
Exactly. Or even if you are operating at a deficit, having to stop at a supercharger once a month is way better than having to go there once a week.

Back when I was trickle charging in a Seattle apartment, the nearest supercharger was in Lynnwood. Each winter, I would have to drive up there once or twice as I would burn slightly more miles than I could trickle charge during the cold weather so my gauge would slowly tick down over the course of the winter months. That wasn't that big a deal since we're talking taking a couple hours out of my day once or twice a year. If I had no trickle charge, I would have had to go up there every week, which would have driven me crazy!

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus