Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. My neighbor has a model S and a home charging station. I'm assuming it's a level 2. She has the adapter package that came with the car. (didn't include 14-50) . Is it possible to use the included cord to extend her home charger cord? Or does someone make an extension cord? She needs to extend about 15 or 20 feet. Thanks.

Tesla strongly discourages the use of any extensions. Often they are rated below the maximum capacity, and not for the continuous maximum power that your EV uses during charging. Anyway, if you must use an extension, be very careful in the selection and use, so it doesn't melt and catch fire.

Upvote 0
Might be cheaper to relocate it, but:

Some folks have waited years on that. I waited several months and gave up. I bought a J1772 extension (not cheap) and used adapters on both ends. I only used it Temporarily and would not recommend an extension cord or Tesla side extension long term. The extension I did buy was rated for 50A and I set the wall connector to 32A.

Oh I had to set Wall Connector to legacy mode. I think Mobile Connector worked too.

Upvote 0