Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal I'd just be buying the Tesla one purely for the interchangeable tails, and it comes with both 10A and 15A

All the third party ones I've seen seem to be fixed.. and I wouldn't touch the $300 China imports.

Reactions: [Zombie] and cafz
Personal I'd just be buying the Tesla one purely for the interchangeable tails, and it comes with both 10A and 15A
Agreed, and it is capable of up to 32A if you later decide you want it by buying an additional tail - it's hard to find a 32A-capable portable charger here for less than Tesla are charging.

Also one minor issue with Luke’s write-up - the new UMCs are no longer limited to 8/12A when plugged into 10/15A tails, but operate at the full rated current.
The UMC owner's manual (pp. 4) puts the figures at 8/12A on 10/15 A outlets.

The manual is consistent with the UMC delivered with my car last Friday.
On a 10 A outlet I get 2 kW reported in the app, roughly 8.3 A@240 V (rounding, measurement point etc. make this approximate).
Looking at the API stats for my longest charge: 11.7 hours to deliver 22.05 kWh is approximately 1.89 kW. The UMC electronics and cable losses will eat some of what comes from the wall, but I cannot that accounting for 400-500 watts (240v@10A ~ 2400 W).

I imagine the rationale for not drawing 10A continuously is to place a safety margin on the building GPO and cabling, which would not typically serve 10A continuously for hours on end.

Reactions: Braz
Interesting. The UMC that came with the M3 I picked up yesterday was charging at 8A, but looks to have updated after the car reached 90% overnight and now lets me select 10A. Has your car reached its charging limit in any of your sessions?
My battery SoC limit was 80% and the 11.7 hour charging session ran to that limit (as do most of the others).
I've just increased to SoC limit to 90% for a longer trip this weekend: it is charging at 2kW and the app allows only 8A (i.e. no > arrow).
Screenshot_20220825-101007_Tesla_s.jpg

The car is on firmware 2022.15.102. The Android app is fully updated (4.11.2-1215, 8 Aug ). Not sure how the UMC can be changed.

Edit: Found this Gen 2 Mobile Charger Charge Rate Update – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia
"The recent update 2021.12.25.7 has an update which allows the Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) Gen 2 charger to now charge at full rated power."

Last edited:
Not sure how the UMC can be changed.

Edit: Found this Gen 2 Mobile Charger Charge Rate Update – Tesla Owners Club Western Australia
"The recent update 2021.12.25.7 has an update which allows the Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) Gen 2 charger to now charge at full rated power."
Note it only happens on recent tails that are marked 10 10A and 15 15A (earlier versions are marked 10 8A and 15 12A)

Bascially you need a Wifi connection, and after the charger has finished charging, it will then go looking for an update.
Easiest way to force it is set the charge limit 1% higher than current charge and plugin.

Some people seemingly have to try a few times.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Sorry to Hijack this....For the Tight@##es here who also preordered too late, anyone have recommendations of 3rd party UMC's. There are so many that vary from 250-550$ for 10AMP and 15AMP?
I use this one: Portable Charger 3 Phase (11kW or 22kW) Tails Bundle - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors Not cheap at all, but if you plan to head off the beaten track, it is a much better deal than the single phase UMC.

I have had no problems charging in the Outback from 32A three phase sockets, in Caravan parks with 15A sockets, and even from 10A where needed. The charge handle also has an optional Tesla button on it so you don't have to do anything special to release the plug.

Both tails says AU Adapter 10 8A 250V and AU Adapter 15 12A 250V :-( Does this mean I'm out of luck getting the faster speeds?
My tails say 10/10 and 15/15 and I am still only seeing 8 Amps. It is not a huge deal to me ultimately, but it is interesting that these variations exist.
Note it only happens on recent tails that are marked 10 10A and 15 15A (earlier versions are marked 10 8A and 15 12A)
Bascially you need a Wifi connection, and after the charger has finished charging, it will then go looking for an update.
Easiest way to force it is set the charge limit 1% higher than current charge and plugin.
Some people seemingly have to try a few times.
Tails and Wifi... check. I have done 11 charging sessions, all but one has ended at the charging limit. Still no joy. I think it might take the car firmware to update before this happens. The car firmware has other potential later versions but the Tesla update scheduling algorithm is somewhat opaque.