Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davezforce

IG @davezforce
Jan 18, 2017
NJ
Hey guys, just picked up my MX Friday night and am new to the whole EV thing. I installed the Tesla Wall connector at home (60 amp) so charging at home is not the question. I’m wondering what are the most common adapters for the mobile connector that I should buy to keep in the car. If I can’t find or get to a Tesla supercharger what are the better/best ones. Is it even possible to charge at a different EV charging station with a Tesla like say a charging location for a Nissan Leaf. Would just like to have what most of you guys carry just Incase I ever come across that situation. Thanks!!

Mainly the J1772 which comes with car is what you would use the most ..leaf can charge also on DC Chademo.. Tesla sells that adaptor as well but in over four years I have used less than 5 times .. You will be fine with the included J1772 for public L2 charging ..other adAptors will be rarely used.. given proliferation of Tesla superchargers you should be good

Other than the standard 14-50, I most often use the 14-30 dryer plug, Not an adapter per se, but rather an extension cord with no neutral on the plug, so it will plug in to either a 14-50 or 14-30. I also made up my own 10-30 cord, and a TT30 (120V RV outlet). But never have had an occasion to use it. I also carry a 50 foot, 6 gauge extension cord (that is heavy beast btw). I have used the J1772, but rarely because it is so slow.

Using a dryer outlet, you need to be careful to remember to “trim the wick” so you don’t pop the 30 amp breaker.

At $35 a pop, I just purchased all eight flavors (mine came with 14-50 and 6-15, so only had to buy 6). I also ordered a (second) 'Mobile Connector Bundle' at the same time: I leave the original mobile connector permanently plugged in at home so I don't have to remember to take it along on long trips, and now have this second mobile connector dedicated to travelling (stored in frunk). Tossed all the adapters into the original mobile connector bag, placed in the frunk.

Murphy's law says you will always run into the receptacle you DON'T have, so sure as heck, just last week I stayed at a friend's beachside home that had a 10-50 connector in his garage. So I also purchased a 10-50 to 14-50 adapter from acworks.com: they have some really clean single piece adapters. I don't want to be limited to only travelling the Interstates (use superchargers), so I figure it is cheap insurance to carry whatever I may run across. Very nice to be able to travel the rural roads and know I can always get a shot of juice in a pinch.

And two weeks ago I was glad I purchased a 5-20 (figured I would never use it). Was just right to have that 4 MPH charge rate: took a couple days to get 200 miles of charge, but the 5-15 3 MPH rate would have only given me 144 miles in that same couple days charging (and not gotten me back home). So bottom line is you only need a particular adapter when you need it - and you won't know which one you'll need until you need it. YMMV (literally!)

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what adaptor I need for this plug? Is it a 240v or a 110v?

02C26EC0-0CF4-4019-9F71-80AA231641BB.jpeg

Opinions abound as to what adapters should be in your vehicle's kit. 14-50R is everywhere: garages, camp grounds, RV parks, level 2 charging stations, in many homes... so I'd definitely recommend that. I used to charge with that one (which used to come with the car) until I got the HPWC put in. Camp grounds, RV parks and marinas often have a 30 A 120 V plug so I got one of those too just in case (have never used it). I spend the summer in a part of Canada where Telsa SC's are few and far between but CHAdeMO abound so I have one of those. I've only used it 4 times so still paying $112.50 per use in NRE on that one. I also carry the Tesla clothes dryer adapter. Never used it either. Never used the J1772 (came with the car). Likewise for the120V 15A adapter but I still feel a little more secure knowing I have those extras on board. Also carry If the town is electrified I ought to be able to find a place to plug in.

The receptacle in the picture is upside down. The neutral pin is supposed to be on the top but that is not enforced in residential installations. Check next time you are at a medical facility though.

The receptacle in the picture is upside down. The neutral pin is supposed to be on the top but that is not enforced in residential installations. Check next time you are at a medical facility though.

Interesting. But from Tesla adaptor page. It looks like it’s better to be in this direction. So it will hang down “correctly” when plugged into the wall.

F1ED2EE5-14EF-4564-BEA3-4FE5EBDD6E2B.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Right. That's because they expect you to charge with it at home rather than in a hospital room. But check the 14-50P on the corded charger or on the corded HPWC. They hang best with the ground pin up because the 14-50R is supposed to be installed with ground up (though not all electricians will do this unless you remind them to).

Last edited:
Right. That's because they expect you to charge with it at home rather than in a hospital room. But check the 14-50P on the corded charger or on the corded HPWC. They hang best with the ground pin up because the R 14-50R is supposed to be installed with ground up (though not all electricians will do this unless you remind them to).

Haha. I hope not to charge in a hospital room. I think this is a dryer outlet. It is in the laundry room.

Since this is here. I have no need to install a 14-50 receptacle.