Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Addiction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess my point was more that charging in public, regardless of how far out of the way it is or isn't, still gives people the idea that EVs are inconvenient because they have to worry about charging all the time.

The other side of it is (and someone pointed this out), if we don't use the current L2 infrastructure, companies/etc. wont see a need to further build it out. I can see both sides, but I stated my reasons for charging.

I guess my point was more that charging in public, regardless of how far out of the way it is or isn't, still gives people the idea that EVs are inconvenient because they have to worry about charging all the time.

Not my problem. If people are ignorant and draw incorrect inferences from my behavior, that's on them.

But I don't think this is true, either. I see a lot of PHEVs plugged into these things. I think it's actually a majority PHEVs for the chargers I frequent. And surely nobody thinks a Volt needs a charge to get home, or has to worry about charging all the time!

I don't need to fill up my ICE at every store that I go to but if they offered free gas when shopping there, you can bet that I'd be taking advantage of it. The same will apply for my Tesla once it has been purchased. I doubt I'll charge everywhere but if I'm at a shopping center or place with free chargers and I plan on being there an hour or two, I'm sure I'll charge from time to time.

My employer has at least 36 Level 2 chargers. I doubt I'll use them every day but I do plan on topping off once or twice a week because it's free and the chargers are totally solar powered!

I have a slight supercharger addiction.

As to normal Level 2 charging I find it too slow to be of any value unless it was destination charging.

Plus most of the places around me are too expensive anyways. Heck, I plugged into a blink CHADEMO charger South of Portland and they charged me almost $20 bucks, and that was just to make it to Centralia, WA with a good buffer driving 10 over the speed limit.

The days of me paying $20 to go a little over a hundred miles are over.

When I created the post this morning, I had some remnants of guilt and desire to do the right thing for other EV owners. I tried to fight my charging addiction.

By this afternoon at lunch time, I was going to indulge my addiction to charge, only to find that the other 3 free slots at this company location ... GOT ICED. Zomgs. Next time, I will have no hesitation whatsoever at this location to charge up, even if I don't need the range to get home. :) I also need to send a note to the local facility manager to put up EV charging signs on those stalls. We didn't splurge for high amperage Clipper Creeks only to get ICEd by our own employees!

- K

I used to be this way, competing with a Leaf at work for one of the two free chargers we have. But then they limited it to 4 hours which means mid day I have to try and get down to the lot and move my car. I got a ticket once (45$, luckily got out of it). In thinking about it, I save 0.30$ per hour charging there (or 1.20$ per day). As I have to park between two cars, I figure one door ding could take me years of charging to pay off. No thanks. I now park on the third floor, way in the back. No one ever parks next to me. I wish they would put all the chargers as far away as possible...

I would argue that the analogy is more like should the hungriest get the free bread, or the guy who's mostly full?

AS IF we are in a bread line? Yeah, right, Tesla owners in a bread line; we are so needy! Anyone driving around in an EV snooping for free juice all the time probably inherited their cash and has no idea how to prioritize either time or money. On the other hand, making a long trip and planning stops for lower energy prices (possibly zero?) seems perfectly reasonable to me.

IMHO, every EV driver approaching a charger has an equal claim regardless of how much they want or need and must get in line with the others, as they would in their ICE vehicle at a gas station. Soon enough, you'll be paying for it and thus much less tempted to get in line unless you really must have the juice.

Free charging, like the EV tax credit, is a temporary incentive to help persuade folks to switch. It is not a viable long term business model.

AS IF we are in a bread line?

That was definitely not my point. I took issue with the Subway analogy, which came off as inaccurate. The bread analogy was to imply that the assertion of some cars needing the charge more than others is a legitimate observation. In the Subway analogy, hungrier doesn't mean much. In the bread example, hunger is supposed to point to Leaf EVs and others that need the charge to get home.

As far as the business model, I agree. I'm hopeful EVs become common enough that the idea of providing juice at the grocery store provides no incentive at all.

I have just as much of a right to plug in to a charger as any other car with a plug, as long as a car isn't already full and occupying the spot then it is okay with me whoever is charging no matter how much range they have left. Even when i would have a leaf i would never rely on any sort of public charging to ensure my trip. All public charging is just a bonus opportunity for extra range.

I felt the same way when I first got my car. I think it's a newbie thing. You get over it and realize it is not necessary and you should let the other EV drivers have access to it. Last thing you want is to block a person who is travelling and needs to charge.

This. Newbie thing. Once the novelty wears off your time becomes more important. And nothing is more quick than plugging in at home

Sure it is ... not plugging will always be quicker than plugging.
Quite embarrassing that the miserable leaf has it, and model S does not.

That system is cool, but could be a little painful for a Model S. At 3.3kW it's enough to charge a LEAF overnight, but it'll only give you about 10MPH charging, so a Model S could take quite a long time to fill. For most people's day-to-day it would be OK, but if you ever do two 200-mile days back to back, it could end up being a bottleneck. I suppose you could plug in for those cases and use the wireless for the common case.

You'll also lose a decent bit of efficiency in the deal. Electricity is cheap so not a big problem, but it bugs me.

I suppose you could plug in for those cases and use the wireless for the common case.

Such is intended use.

You'll also lose a decent bit of efficiency in the deal. Electricity is cheap so not a big problem, but it bugs me.

From their F.A.Q.:
Plugless is ~12% less efficient than corded L2 30amp 240V charging systems.

12% high charging costs for not having to haggle with cables at all? A bargain.
Unfortunately, they still are not supporting Model S installations.