Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging advice and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my M3 LR AWD on Saturday and have just been 110V charging for now, which has been fine.

Also got the wall charger today. I live in Ontario, Canada. Cold and snowy. Realizing I likely didn't need the wall charger and perhaps even the LR considering my driving! That said...

My questions...and some options.

1) I am toying with the idea of leaving the car outside all winter thereby installing the charger outside. We have a very clear garage and ideally not looking to full with snow/water/salt. Don't really have good draining and salt does a number on our floor. Any issues in leaving the car outside all winter or the charger?

2) Can the wall charger cable go under a garage door without ruining it?

Options

1) Install the wall charger in the garage and run under the garage door in winter.

2) Install the wall charger in the garage and a second 14-50 outside.

3) Install two 14-50s, one in the garage, one outside and forget the wall connector.

4) Other options

That all being said, my electrician is coming over later today to look at everything. Anything specific I need to know?

RE: Parking outside in winter
The charger will be fine based on what others have reported. Your electricity bill however...

Every time I point this out I get "downvoted" to hell from people that haven't actually parked outside in the cold or measured these things because I'm spreading "FUD". So I'll keep it short and without numbers: Expect a large power draw in "cold" conditions to keep the battery slightly warmed.

This power draw, in cold areas, makes charging off of standard 120V/15A basically ineffective (only keeps it floating at the same range), to give you an idea of the power draw. There is actually a confounding factor, but I'm getting into the weeds. Let me know if you want way more detail.

Parking in the garage would certainly help with the "wasted" energy, and might make a standard outlet still viable iff you have a short commute. Otherwise you'll need some sort of upgrade, either to support a longer commute (>30km) in-garage, or charging at all when outside.

RE: Cable under garage door

This entirely depends on your garage door. The bottom seal should provide some cushion, but something there are sharp edges regardless. Sharp edges would be bad for obvious reasons. But if it's not sharp and your door doesn't ram down with the force of a thousand bulls, it's probably fine. It may cause the door to not close if there isn't enough give with the seal.

The cable might be thicker than I'm thinking though, I only use the Mobile Connector. Thickness would change things.

---

If I were you, I'd say screw the precious garage floor and just park the car in there. EVs still aren't great in the cold, and being parked inside helps in many ways.

Reactions: duanra
Parking in the garage would certainly help with the "wasted" energy, and might make a standard outlet still viable iff you have a short commute.

You’re assuming the OP has an insulated/heated garage (which may well be the case based on his description of it), but that is not always the case. My garage for example, is only insulated on the back wall where it joins the house. In winter, the garage temp is about 5C over outdoor temp. So not much difference being in the garage or outdoors, except not having to clear snow And ice off the car, which is great.

Amd yes, keeping the car’s systems warm will use some energy, but that will always be less than hearing the entire garage.

To the OP, I’d say park the car in the garage, that’s what it’s for. In my view, keeping the car safe and free of snow and freezing rain is more important than keeping the floor of the garage pristine and salt-free.

You’re assuming the OP has an insulated/heated garage (which may well be the case based on his description of it), but that is not always the case. My garage for example, is only insulated on the back wall where it joins the house. In winter, the garage temp is about 5C over outdoor temp. So not much difference being in the garage or outdoors, except not having to clear snow And ice off the car, which is great.

Amd yes, keeping the car’s systems warm will use some energy, but that will always be less than hearing the entire garage.

To the OP, I’d say park the car in the garage, that’s what it’s for. In my view, keeping the car safe and free of snow and freezing rain is more important than keeping the floor of the garage pristine and salt-free.

It's actually nice to see someone else point out the fact heating the garage ain't free either, usually people think that's an unfair point so thank you for the reminder :)

But anyhow, yeah I guess I did make that assumption. Even a 5C/9F buffer would help though, actually quite a lot. Not being in the wind helps a lot too.

The front of my garage is all but open (not really sealed at all, huge gaps) but otherwise has an indoor wall on all sides. Not directly heated but it usually keeps it at 10C in winter - happens to be pretty much the ideal temp to not usually not require active heating by the car.

Ok, I know the last thing anyone wants is to hear what the Southern California guys think about winter ANYTHING... but here goes...

I'd install the charger in the garage for sure. It sounds like that's where you'll be parking for at least half the year anyhow. Install it close enough to the door so you can easily reach your driveway. Park inside/outside as your heart desires and charge away.

Regarding not needing the LR... You might change your mind once the cold really sets in and you see how much energy it takes to drive in cold/snow while keeping you warm. I'm sure you'll be glad you bought LR and the higher powered charger to ease any range fears during winter.

I have the charger in the garage, which I heat to around 12-14C since I exercise in there too. I live in Quebec City, Canada so it gets cold. When i need to leave the car outside I can still charge by closing the door on the cable. But! : my garage door opener doesn't like it. Depending on how it's adjusted it either opens back up or the top structure buckles a bit when closing. Instead i let the motor almost close the door, stop it and disconnect the door from the motor to close the last foot manually. I put a piece of wood on the floor besides the cable so it doesn't get the weight of the door. The wood might be overkill but I'm like that. There a rubber seal under my door but i can feel some air come in when it's Windy but it's not crazy.

I decided to just go ahead and do the wall charger. I have it. It's an easy run according to my electrician. We do plan to epoxy the garage so a winter of salt/snow don't hurt. There's a coating on the floor right now.

The garage is heated (which I highly recommend to anyone in a cold climate!)

Thanks for all the input peeps, really appreciated!

Last edited:
So I got my M3 LR AWD on Saturday and have just been 110V charging for now, which has been fine.

Also got the wall charger today. I live in Ontario, Canada. Cold and snowy. Realizing I likely didn't need the wall charger and perhaps even the LR considering my driving! That said...

My questions...and some options.

1) I am toying with the idea of leaving the car outside all winter thereby installing the charger outside. We have a very clear garage and ideally not looking to full with snow/water/salt. Don't really have good draining and salt does a number on our floor. Any issues in leaving the car outside all winter or the charger?

2) Can the wall charger cable go under a garage door without ruining it?

Options

1) Install the wall charger in the garage and run under the garage door in winter.

2) Install the wall charger in the garage and a second 14-50 outside.

3) Install two 14-50s, one in the garage, one outside and forget the wall connector.

4) Other options

That all being said, my electrician is coming over later today to look at everything. Anything specific I need to know?
Hi, you might want to look into this to protect your garage floor. TruContain Containment Mat Contains Water & Snow - Huge Sale