Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging advice for a weekend-only car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re just driving over the weekend save your money and try 110 life and see if it suits you. I’ve been doing it for about a month now. It’s been manageable for my daily commute but I’m going to put in a wall connector because when winter comes 110 won’t be enough to keep up.

I’m in Plano and have worked from home the 21 months I’ve had our car, which is a weekend and multi state road trip machine.

Leave it set to 60% during the week and up it to 70 or even 80 on Friday night.
As a rule, always leave it plugged in. If there’s a thunderstorm forecast then unplug it if you’re worried. I never have.
I’m on 3.3% battery degradation after 21 months and 21k miles and yes I charge to 100% overnight when making my multi state road trips. Sometimes it sits at 100% for a few hours before I drive it. The horror! Think of the children!
Seriously, don’t stress over it, a lot of people in here over think it and act like the car will explode if you don’t follow the hive recommendations and nothing could be further from the truth…

I’m in Plano and have worked from home the 21 months I’ve had our car, which is a weekend and multi state road trip machine.

Leave it set to 60% during the week and up it to 70 or even 80 on Friday night.
As a rule, always leave it plugged in. If there’s a thunderstorm forecast then unplug it if you’re worried. I never have.
I’m on 3.3% battery degradation after 21 months and 21k miles and yes I charge to 100% overnight when making my multi state road trips. Sometimes it sits at 100% for a few hours before I drive it. The horror! Think of the children!
Seriously, don’t stress over it, a lot of people in here over think it and act like the car will explode if you don’t follow the hive recommendations and nothing could be further from the truth…

Hey what's up neighbor. I am here at Frisco ))
Same thing, as yours. Car always plugged in. Daily driving charge limit set to 60%, and charge to 100% for the road trips.

Reactions: LoneStarEve
I’ve seen some stats on the forum that 50-55% is really good to help with reducing battery degradation. Certainly bump it up when needed, but around the above seems to work well.
Supposedly that's why the Chevy Volt's never suffered from any degradation, they were set to only use 60%. I would do this but I believe the horsepower takes a large hit once you get below 50% on the MYLR.