Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Advice - Installation at 3 Phase Supply Premises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've now got an S and an X on order (exciting!).

Want to get my charging in place. Our warehouse has 3 phase supply so wondering what my best options for that are? Want to charge as quickly as possible. We're in Middlesex if that matters. Probably get 2 of them as it can be put through the business.

Also need a charger for home, which is just a normal domestic power supply.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

You can AC charge at 11 kW if your car has 3 modules (3x16A, or 2x16A for 32A single phase). These EVSE are mostly passive, just a contactor and an interface unit. To get faster, you would need a DC charger - I did see some 20 kW units starting to appear (and this strikes me as a good rate without excessive cost) - but I've no idea how much more these would cost to install compared with an AC unit. As soon as you go to DC, you also have more cabling options to worry about.

Price for a 20-30 kW unit looks like $5k upwards, depending if you import from China or use a local reseller...

Last edited:
If you have a 3 phase supply then you can use a 3 phase charger. In a model 3 that means you can activate the third of the 16A onboard charger modules for 3x 16A = 11kW.

The Tesla wall charger supports both single and three phase, and has a few other desirable characteristics to boot (such as the Tesla button to start and stop charging, and the fact unlike many other chargers on the market it doesn’t look like I’ve taken the salad drawers out of my fridge and nailed them to the wall. They are shall we say, aesthetically pleasing. More so than the actual cars in fact).

They also have the facility to network up to four chargers together so they share the available load, a function that I found came at a much higher cost when applied to other chargers that don’t have native support for it. I needed it because we’re ‘currently‘ restricted on available Amps. As such they are sharing a 32 amp supply so they automatically shuffle the load around to whichever charger needs it. On this restricted diet of amps I can charge two model 3’s at the full 11kW, or four model 3’s at half speed. Once I move them to their permanent location later in the year they’ll have a 32A supply each, so they will each be able to support up to 22kW charging. Not much good for my model 3 (max 11kW), but future proofed to a certain extent..

The newer S/X can charge at 16kW IIRC. Without going to some serious expense, putting in some pretty beefy wiring and finding space for a big D.C. charter unit, that’s as fast as you’ll get. More than enough for the average working day.

The Tesla wall charger supports three phase. I briefly looked into chargers for the workplace but if it is just for you I would go with the Tesla one.

If you are looking for a charger that employees or visitors can use. Most commercial chargers support three phase. I would look into a dumb pedestal charger like the Rolec one.
This website might be a good place to start:
Workplace Chargers - Page 2 of 2 - MEGA EV

FYI the government guidance contradicts itself depending on where you look in terms on the tax for workplace charging so don’t worry if it looks confusing. It is.