Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging along I-35 and in North Dallas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
I'm trying to make the trip from Austin to Dallas (204 miles from Pflugerville to Plano) along I-35 in my Roadster, but there don't seem to be (m)any charging options along the way. It looks like, if I'm running low, I can stop in Hillsboro to get a little juice to alleviate the range anxiety. Are there any other charging locations along I-35 that you can recommend?

Also, are there any high-current charging stations around Dallas, specifically the northern regions? My dad is building a workshop for his old cars, and I'm installing a HPC, but the power hook-up has been delayed and I probably won't be able to charge at while there. Does anyone have experience with safe, fast chargers in the area?

I'm trying to make the trip from Austin to Dallas (204 miles from Pflugerville to Plano) along I-35 in my Roadster, but there don't seem to be (m)any charging options along the way. It looks like, if I'm running low, I can stop in Hillsboro to get a little juice to alleviate the range anxiety. Are there any other charging locations along I-35 that you can recommend?

Also, are there any high-current charging stations around Dallas, specifically the northern regions? My dad is building a workshop for his old cars, and I'm installing a HPC, but the power hook-up has been delayed and I probably won't be able to charge at while there. Does anyone have experience with safe, fast chargers in the area?

See this thread: Model S to Roadster adapter

You may want to get on the list to have an MS to Roadster adapter to be able to charge at all the MS HPWC's around including Tesla Service Centers and Showrooms.

TexasEV, thanks for the tip about Jay, and Roadster, thanks for the offer. Since I've got the old MC240 adapter, I'm limited to 30 amps on a 14-50, so I might as well use public stations.

Chris, is, I wrote to the service center and they told me the HPC is gone, but I think I was chatting with someone in California. I couldn't find a direct number to get in touch with the folks on location.

Cottonwood, the adapter looks like a great idea and would allow charging at the showrooms and any home chargers, but I'll have a Roadster HPC connected here in a couple weeks. So, I'm not sure it would be worth it, but I might pick one up just to save space if the Tesla j1772 adapter can be stacked.

And, finally, to provide some status. I made the drive up on Saturday morning. I drove 60-65mph the whole way and hung out in the right lane mostly behind trucks. The sped was only difficult on SH130 where the limit is 80, and on I35 up to Salado where it goes down to two lanes and drops from 75 mph. Other than that, I had to manage my speed with traffic.

I charged for for one hour in Hillsboro at the outlets. That only added 13 ,lies to my range. I forgot that charging took he car out of range mode, so I kept wondering where my extra 25-30 miles of range disappeared to. Despite that, I made it to Plano, 204 miles total, with 23 miles remaining in standard mode at an average of 230 watt hours per mile.

So far, the best charging experience has been at the AT&T store by Collin Creek mall. It's free and see, to charge pretty quickly. I'll just need to top it off before I head back to Austin tomorrow.