Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Amp Limit to 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have yet to to receive my new M3LR however I already have an EVSE from my previous vehicle. However this EVSE is rated at 32A max and specifically says in the manual to limit the tesla's charge amps to 32A and nothing more. My question is, is it possible for the charge limit to reset to full 48A after an update? Is the set charge limit of 32A a hard limit that will stay?

Thanks!

When plugged into an EVSE that announces a lower amperage than the car can charge at, it will charge at the lower amperage. I.e. it will charge at 32A when plugged into your 32A EVSE.

Now, if your EVSE tells the car that it can charge at higher than 32A but it really cannot (perhaps because it is on a lower amperage circuit than it should be on), that is a problem.

Here is a pic of the user manual stating to reduce the charger setting on your tesla to 32a.
20220212_093852.jpg

Here is a pic of the user manual stating to reduce the charger setting on your tesla to 32a.
View attachment 768116

So basically it appears that that specific charger does not announce properly what the circuit is. If that was something I bought that could still be returned, I would do that vs a charger that states it charges based on what the car is asking for, vs what you set it up for.

Otherwise
So basically it appears that that specific charger does not announce properly what the circuit is. If that was something I bought that could still be returned, I would do that vs a charger that states it charges based on what the car is asking for, vs what you set it up for.
Otherwise, follow their instructions, then report what it says on your charging screen. The Tesla should report two amperage numbers separated by a slash, like 32/32 or 32/48. The first number is the actual amperage you're charging at, the second is the amperage advertised by the EVSE. That should tell the story on whether you actually need to override the amperage or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Although I have a 14-50 installed on a dedicated 50 amp circuit, Tesla will set the limit to 80% or 40 amps.
I manually told the charging screen to limit it to 32A (about 8kW) and it's held the 32A for the last 2 years through multiple software updates.
Of course, the very next update could change that record.

I picked 32A or 8kW as the max that my solar panels can produce (on a clear sunny day at noon in the spring) but at least I'm trying to be good.
I also set the charging to start at 10:30 AM when hopefully the panels are producing near their max.
Because I have net metering, I don't worry about it much. Plug it in and when I want to drive it, it's usually "full" (80%).

Agree... the normal expectation is that the EVSE and car will talk and then charge at the lower of the rate the EVSE says it can deliver and the rate the car wants. An EVSE that can only do 32A but allows a car to believe that it can charge at 40A or 48A is not safe.

Whatever sort of janky charger that is, it’s definitely not J1772 compliant if it can’t properly negotiate the max current it can safely provide for a charging session.

Get rid of it and buy something of reasonable quality. Not worth risking your home/car/safety for a couple hundred bucks.

• Love
If the EVSE turns out to be unsuitable or unsafe and is plugged into a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet on a 40A or 50A circuit, then using the Tesla mobile connector that comes with the car plus the $45 plug adapter that matches the outlet will give a perfectly good 32A EVSE at low cost.

In this case, it would only be necessary to buy another EVSE if it is desired to keep the Tesla mobile connector in the car for frequent road trips, since plugging and unplugging frequently may not be too good for high-amperage outlets.

I use a chargepoint public charger near my home. Everytime I plug in it defaults in the Tesla app to 29A speed even though 30A is available. The Tesla app allows me to increase to 30.

Any idea why it defaults to 29?
Any harm in bumping it to 30?
Anybody else experiencing same?