Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging amperage limit at home now is 48A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I was in Tesla service (display change) Tesla changed my hood lock and port for upgrade versions as I was told. When I got home I noticed in my scheduled charging that I can set now amperage up to 48A. I could be mistaken, but I think before I had limit 32A. I do not think I really need to use 48A, but I want to know what Tesla actually updated and why?

Hmm, for some reason I have a feeling that it showed 32A before (but it is possible it was when I used adapter for NEMA 14-50 which I installed at home). I did not check actually what it shows now if I plug that adapter, I have more than enough juice coming back from Tesla service.

^^you could also have set it at 32 amp on the screen. I have a Tesla wall charger and could charge at 48, but usually charge at 32 amps. Just bcos.
It was also set to 32A. After Tesla changed the port for updated version (now I recall they change it because of some famous port pin problems) my charge setting was set for minimum, 5A. That is why I moved slider and realised that max is 48A.

While I was in Tesla service (display change) Tesla changed my hood lock and port for upgrade versions as I was told. When I got home I noticed in my scheduled charging that I can set now amperage up to 48A. I could be mistaken, but I think before I had limit 32A. I do not think I really need to use 48A, but I want to know what Tesla actually updated and why?

The car will remember the available current at any given charging location so if your home solution is only capable of 32 amps, once you charge at home for the first time that will be what you see on the display when you get to your home.

NEMA 14-50 maxes out at 32A.

You can do 40A with the NEMA 14-50 wall charger. And 48A with the hardwire wall charger.

To clarify, a NEMA 14-50 outlet can legally/safely deliver a maximum of 40A for an extended period, although it can legally/safely deliver a burst of 50A (for when an appliance starts up). EVSEs should never use the "burst" capability.

Tesla's Gen1 Mobile Connector (which was delivered with older Model S and X vehicles, but never with Model 3s), when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, can deliver a maximum of 40A, the same as the NEMA 14-50 outlet; however, as others have noted, SR/SR+/MR Model 3s are limited to 32A, so that's all you'd see when charging with them.

Tesla's Gen2 Mobile Connector (which comes with all Model 3s and newer Model S and X vehicles), when plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, can deliver a maximum of 32A.

Tesla has sold a few Wall Connectors with NEMA 14-50 plugs. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe this version of the Wall Connector maxes out at 40A. Hard-wired Wall Connectors can deliver much more than that (something like 64A or 80A; I don't know the precise limit, offhand), if it's wired up to a circuit capable of delivering that much power. The Wall Connector has DIP switches or a dial internally (depending on its age) to set its amperage limit. Many third-party EVSEs can also plug into NEMA 14-50 outlets, but their limits vary depending on the make and model.

There's never a problem with a power consumer (like a Tesla) pulling less power than the circuit can handle; you can dial down the amperage that a Tesla draws, even if every other part of the circuit can deliver more power. Something in that circuit, though, imposes a limit. Cars and EVSEs are designed with enough "smarts" to know their own limits and prevent exceeding them -- so the car and EVSE will negotiate a charge rate, which will be the minimum of what the two devices support or are configured to use. Circuit breakers impose their limit in a cruder way, by shutting off power if too much is demanded. Wiring can overheat and catch fire if its limit is exceeded, which is why it's critical to match its capacity to everything else in the circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Acps110 and Rocky_H
HPWC can be set to 80A on a 100A circuit, though most Tesla cars only have 48A AC>DC converter and thus as of today, 60A circuit with 48A setting is sufficient. (though I went for the 100A to future proof it)

Telsa didn't change anything, sounds like you changed your method of home charging.
If you use the included with the Model 3 mobile connector you are maxed out at 32 A
If you use a hard wired Telsa wall connector, your car can charge at max of 48 A

Telsa didn't change anything, sounds like you changed your method of home charging.
If you use the included with the Model 3 mobile connector you are maxed out at 32 A
If you use a hard wired Telsa wall connector, your car can charge at max of 48 A
No, I was told by Tesla before I came for display change that they will replace a hood lock and also port lock pin or something like that (it was in a phone conversation). I did not a my charge method, and did not try to charge yet (i still have it charged more than 80%). I think that when I will use my mobile adapter it would be limited by 32A, and now it shows limit 48A because i did not insert an adapter yet.

Hmm, for some reason I have a feeling that it showed 32A before (but it is possible it was when I used adapter for NEMA 14-50 which I installed at home). I did not check actually what it shows now if I plug that adapter, I have more than enough juice coming back from Tesla service.

The number that it shows while its not charging is not important at all. Only the number while charging, and the number written on Tesla's website is relevant. It will change based on what kind of source you plug into.

Reactions: tccartier