Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Amperage Set?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some odd reason, after 5.9 we noticed that by default, the amperage is set to 40. Previously, we had it set to 28 and it stays there, but after the 5.9 update we have to manually adjust the amperage every time. Perhaps we are missing something? Can someone point us to how to set this. Thank you.

I raised this with Ownership and it was referred to my local Service Center. I asked them about it when I took my car in for the under-body shield installation.

Apparently, with 5.9 the car actually does remember the charging amps by location, but no longer shows that on the screen. The display will default to the car's maximum capability (80 amps in my case with the dual chargers) but when you plug it in, it will only ramp up to the setting you used last time. I verified this by staying with the car as I plugged it in. I only have the capacity for 16 amps continuous in my garage and that great big "80" on the screen was making me nervous.

Tesla reported back that this is "just how it works" with 5.9. I think it's a bug. The car still displays the charging schedule you set. You don't have to just "assume" it's remembered the schedule, and I think they should fix it so the charging amp display works like it used to.

I found out today that if you go to a new location to charge, it will use your last charging value by default. In my case, my last charging value yesterday was 22a (bad cable at a charging station). Today, I went to a 30a charger I had never gone to. It kept the charging rate at 22a rather than increasing it to 30a.
Going back to my house, it put the charge rate to 40a which is normal for my house.

We just got the 5.9 update. The first time i started a charge after the update, it read 40A, then i reset to 30A (i do not like the cable temeperature at 40 Amp rate/242Volts). Charging at home or work, still kept 30Amp setting.

This has become a huge annoyance for me. Why did they do this? I change the amperage depending on how quickly I need the car charged. I don't charge at full rate unless I need to, and generally use one of two or three values. The problem is, I now have no idea which value is set so I have to set it every time.

Frustrating. You should never be surprised at how much current the car is going to draw. That should be basic stuff.

Yup, in the winter I often set the amperage so that charging finishes just before I leave since my charging starts at midnight. Ensures I have a warm battery when leaving. Glad I haven't had any surprises with a lower than expected charge rate. Should be a priority fix for them.

Thanks @mknox for sharing what the SC said.