Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging amps increase while charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi we have a 3-week-old 2022 long range model Y.

Last night during our afternoon/ nightly charging at 11amps@240 volt (we have limited power available) the charge rate changed from 11 amps to 48 amp overloading our power available.

We have the latest Tesla home charger with 60-amp breakers.

A funny thing is that car shows our neighboring address across the street while parked at our house, so we set the charging at this location to 11 amps anyway.

I think the car is switching back and forth between address’s and then charging at 48 amps.

I will charge at our barn which shows our correct address at 11 amps and see what happens.

You shouldnt have a 60amp breaker if charging 48amps overloads your panel. Depending on the CAR to limit the charging amps is not the proper way to do that. Go into the wall connector and re commission the settings there to the desired amount of power, so that it will never provide more power than your home can handle.

A funny thing is that car shows our neighboring address across the street while parked at our house, so we set the charging at this location to 11 amps anyway.

I think the car is switching back and forth between address’s and then charging at 48 amps.

I will charge at our barn which shows our correct address at 11 amps and see what happens.
No, that doesn't make any sense that the car would change the charge rate based on what it thinks is your address. It doesn't work that way.
And I like JJrandorin's comment. I couldn't have said that any better. Lastly, I wonder why an electrician would have installed a 60 amp breaker/circuit in your panel in the first place if it overloads your system. Maybe I am missing something.

Perhaps the OP has a solar panel system with battery storage for charging at night.

The Tesla Model Y enables you to set the maximum Level 1/ Level 2 charging amperage for a specific location but sometimes this resets to the maximum (48A)

Did you set the Home and Work locations in the Tesla Model Y's Navigation system?

Last night during our afternoon/ nightly charging at 11amps@240 volt (we have limited power available) the charge rate changed from 11 amps to 48 amp overloading our power available.
I am going to second @jjrandorin 's statements that you definitely shouldn't have a 60A circuit set up if it's that bad that you can only run it at 11A.

Yes, that is how the amp setting functionality works. It gets saved to a location.

No, that doesn't make any sense that the car would change the charge rate based on what it thinks is your address. It doesn't work that way.
Yes it does make sense! That is how it has always worked!

When you have it plugged in, and you dial it down to some artificially lower setting, it creates a memorized entry for that amount of amps at that location. And yes, I have seen that before, where the GPS gets a little off, and it's seeing the car a block or two away, which is a different location, so it will not use the amp setting that you have saved for your home location. It's done that on my car.

Here is an example use case of why that is a sensible feature. Let's say you have two places you charge pretty regularly, like home and work. Maybe the J1772 stations at your work were built with really long wiring runs so that when you try to charge at the full 32A, it drags down the voltage, and the car triggers that safety check to go down to 24A. But if you run at 26 or 27A, it may run fine without too much voltage drop. So you set it at 26A, and it saves the setting at that location.

Your home setup is rock solid, though. 48A from a wall connector--no issues. Guess what? You don't want to have to keep dialing that current up and down from 26 to 48 and back whenever you plug in at home or at work. So it makes sense that it saves the amp setting that you have picked for those two places.

The same goes for the scheduled start time too. You may want it to start at 1:00 AM at home, but you want it to start immediately at work. So it saves that to the location too.

I installed the 60 -amp breaker myself. We are awaiting a new service and should be able to charge at the 48 amps when installed if that much power is needed.

I will go to the wall charger and re configure it.

I noticed that the one time we charged at a super charger, just to see if all was working, the car automatically adjusted to 48-amps. So, I thought it might go to 48-amps as a default at other locations.

Today I drove around and my gps location only showed up at 2 addresses away never on our property. Guess I should not rely on the gps for charging location.

Should I change to a 20-amp breaker in the meantime?

Thanks for the very quick response

Eldon

I noticed that the one time we charged at a super charger, just to see if all was working, the car automatically adjusted to 48-amps. So, I thought it might go to 48-amps as a default at other locations.
Superchargers don't use that setting. They are always out of your control and are just as fast as it can go so you can get done and get out of the way to free up that stall. That setting is only relevant to AC circuits. What is showing on the screen is just that it always shows the maximum amount of amps that the charger in your car can do when you are driving around and doing stuff where it's not plugged into something that enforces a lower limit, or it's at a location with a lower setting.

Should I change to a 20-amp breaker in the meantime?
I wouldn't want to be giving advice about that. If you set it for a 20A circuit, it will try to use up to 16A unless you turn it down. Even the 15A circuit setting will try to use 12A. That would be the closest to 11 that you can do.

I had a glitch and since rebooted regarding charging….. in researching I’ve found people charging at 80 amps to 25? I set mine at 40?

And hopefully I go back to the time I set (after midnight). Yesterday as soon as I plugged in it started charging.

You’ll all be happy to know I’m getting a new 2022 Y. Tesla did a trade in (I was in an accident during the summer…. Hit hard).

If anything else I learned from this group - use your own insurance,company- not the person that hit you ! Thanks Jon. Any word about the amps ?

What the heck? Two disagrees for explaining how the car saves the reduced amp setting to a location? I guess some people don't like that functionality?
Yeah - I saw those and couldn’t figure it out either. I guess some people get mad when you point out they’re wrong!

To the OP, I would dial down the current setting until you upgrade your service. You can also replace the 50A breaker with a smaller one until that happens, assuming the breaker lugs in the smaller breaker can handle the wire.