TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging an iPhone using front USB

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by ElectricJoules, Sep 25, 2019.

1. ElectricJoules

Just thought I'd share the necessary to charge your iPhone neatly in the centre console in the M3.
    You'll need a right angle (90 degree) charging cable with sufficient depth on the lightening connector to fit in the plastic channel in the centre console. If the lightening connector is less than about 25mm then it will not stick out far enough to plug into the phone. Slide the shiny cover to the left to release it. The attached photo does most of the explaining. Apple charge cable.JPG

2. Talllbloke

Talllbloke Member

Does a cable come with the car or do I have to buy one?

3. ElectricJoules

You have to buy your own.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Another solution (if your phone supports inductive charging) is a charging pad, like the Nomad. A little pricey, yes, but it looks great and the convenience can't be beat.

5. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Official cable £14 from Tesla - part 1116142-00-A (M3, USB - A to Lightning) - Made for iPhone and should be correct length too.

6. Talllbloke

Talllbloke Member

Can I buy one at the pick-up?

7. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Are they available to buy right now?

Does anyone have a link to one that they have purchased and fits correctly?

8. VanillaAir_UK

Yes. I have mine ready and waiting for a car. I arranged via Heathrow service centre and, my choice, popped along to pick up with some other bits too. I think delivery for something small like that is quite expensive on its own.

I possibly would have bought an after market cable if it had been less convenient and I could have been sure of cable length. I'm hoping Tesla have made it the correct length (some third part cables are too short, some way too long) as I don't want tons of spare. The cable itself measures approx 31cm between plugs, including strain relief. My son says that Apple cables are £20+ so it makes sense even if its just a stop gap and I reuse it somewhere else. Its potentially a useful little cable in its own right.

• Like x 1
  9. p4594spa

p4594spa Member

10. VanillaAir_UK

#10 VanillaAir_UK, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Postage even more expensive from US ;)

11. ElectricJoules

£3.25 on UK ebay - see my original picture on the 1st post of this thread.

• Like x 2
  12. tess19

tess19 Member

Glad someone cleared that up. I thought it should come with it and I was going to complain.

13. Rooster6655

For anyone wondering the Item number is 162758544125

Its not an official MFI certified cable so don't know how long it would last, you will also need to choose 1m as 20cm isn't enough

14. Alan J

Alan J Member

I bought a
    I bought a cheap Wireless Charger off Amazon for £32 and it's great perfect fit and super convenient.

15. Rooster6655

Don't have wireless charging capability (old phone) so going to get the official Tesla cable instead £14 collected