TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging and model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xav-, Mar 20, 2018.

1. xav-

xav- Active Member

So we are planning to get a model 3 and need your input folks on a couple things please.

We live in a house which is a rental and the garage is in a separate building 100 feet from the circuit breaker.

Having a Nema 14-50 installed would cost at least $1k and I kind of don't trust the landlord... (raised our rent etc)

So my plan is the following:
    - use Nema 10-30 dryer plug about once a week to top up (will set power to 24 amp in car). I will use a 50 amp extension cord
    - Use standard 110v daily to add roughly 40 miles nightly. I would adjust to 12 amp in car (What i do in our volt currently)

My main understanding is that the car remembers power settings based on GPS location so I assume I will have to update settings regularly but could you please confirm?

My main fear is: what happens if I forget to downgrade the amps when I plug into the standard outlet? E.g. I would attempt to pull 24 amp from a standard outlet. Is the car "intelligent" so that it remember not to pull more than 12 amps when using 110 volts?

Thanks!

2. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

If you're using the correct adapter from Tesla it will automatically reduce the amps when plugging in to the corresponding outlet.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

As @LCR1, the Amps limiter comes from which adapter you are choosing not depending on other intelligence.

The worst thing would happen with a functional house breaker is it would be set off and you have to find it to reset it.

However, if the breaker is malfunctioned and it wouldn't be tripped, you can have a house fire.

4. xav-

xav- Active Member

Thanks!

Are those adapters what Tesla refer to as "Model S/X Gen 1 NEMA Adapters"?

5. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

No, if you have the gen 2 charger that came with the model 3 you'll need gen 2 adapters

Model 3 NEMA Adapters

Simply get the adapter you need and plug it in with no need to adjust anything. The charger that comes with the model 3 should include the 14-50 and 5-15 (standard 120v outlet) so all you should need is the 10-30

• Informative x 1
  6. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

Also is the dryer in the garage or in the house?

7. xav-

xav- Active Member

Dryer is in the house unfortunately. I am planning to have a 15 feet extension cable. I basically have to park the car in a different location when charging against that outlet.

As a side note i would be using a 50 amp cable, also planning to have a smoke detector installed close by for safety.

8. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

I don't see any real need for a 50 amp cable on a 30 amp circuit. A good 30amp cord when your only going to be pulling 24 should be more than fine.

I am also renting, but luckily my 10-30 outlet is in my garage, but the plug is far away from where my car will be in the garage, so I got a 25' cord to use. I have a 25' cable that I will be drawing 24 amps through, I tested it with my dads Ford Focus when he visited, pulled 24 amps and the voltage was still 241v at the charger (juice box reported)

Also since we have an electric dryer using the same outlet I got a Dryer buddy plus auto, so others ln the house wont need to remember to unplug the EV when they want to use the dryer and vice versa. (~$300) Its not super cheap, but I see it being useful, cheaper than installing/permitting a new outlet. (The 100 amp panel in my rental is FULL already)

9. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

If you can get a 30 amp cord that fits the socket for cheaper just get that. Plenty of RVs run 30amp cords, my 30a cord is 75feet and it can see every bit of the 30 amps during race weekends.

10. drawfour

drawfour Member

Can you use a Quick-220? 110-120 and 220-240 Voltage Converters & Accessories I just learned about this today. As long as you can get the current from two different circuits that are out of phase, they can be combined into a 220V, and the claim is it would double or triple your charging capacity.

11. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

Luckily this can be tested fairly easily with a regular volt meter and two extension cords, All of my plugs in my garage are on the same phase... So that's when I went to the Dryer Buddy setup.

• Like x 1
  12. xav-

xav- Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback.. I was about to purchase a Nema 10-30 and Nema 5-15 adapters from Amazon for nearly double the price... turns out I only need the 10-30 adapter which Tesla makes for only $35 (and address my concern with power setting)..

You guys just saved me $100.. and im not even done... going to that link that LCR1 provided on tesla.. i learned that I could get 22 miles per hour of charge on à Nema 10-30 which is better than I envisioned. So I am increasingly considering plugging twice a week on my dryer outlet and forget the standard 110v outlet all together!

A note though on that charging cable. I realized that 50 amps is more than needed but I wanted something that I could reuse hopefully someday for a more conventional 50 amp setup. In the meantime that would provide me with something extra sturdy (if I drive on it or something)

13. xav-

xav- Active Member

With the Nema 10-30 though I get 6 to 7x capacity (22 miles per hour apparently!!). Also that quick 220 thing seems like a hack. I am not sure that is going to look good if something happens. I think Nema 10-30 + Tesla adapter look better, but It's all subjective. I agree that Nema 14-50 would look a 100 times better than all this :(

14. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

#14 ölbrenner, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Seems is the key word here, study up. It does the same thing any 220V socket does (combine two 110V legs), has safeguards in place to protect against user sequencing error, only powers up the outlet after both legs are confirmed satisfactory, and it's UL listed.

15. Glade_EV

Glade_EV Member

A 50 amp cable that you could use in a more conventional 50 amp setup will have NEMA 14-50 connectors on it. Adapting in and out of it might cost more (and be less safe) than a properly terminated 30 amp cable. Better off just saving your money and satisfying your current needs.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Tire warmers are pretty hungry. :)

17. xav-

xav- Active Member

Ok I was under the assumption it would be safer not the other way around. I will buy a 30 amp cable then. Thanks

18. xav-

xav- Active Member

I did not mean to say that it was unsafe, but that it could potentially be against code. sounds like I was wrong though. Thanks

19. xav-

xav- Active Member

Quick follow up...

How is the setup more complicated? I need to buy a Nema 10-30 adapter from tesla anyway. At the end of the day I am going to have a connector somewhere?

As a side note a 30 amp cable that is Nema 10-30 terminAted is as expensive as à Nema 14-50 cable.

Edit: I get how it would work.. but what I don't get is how it would be more complicated and risky. There is one connector either way.

Thanks!

20. eladts

eladts Member

While real 240V outlets do include two 120V legs, they are both connected to the same double breaker, so if one of them goes out so does the other. Also, 240V sockets are usually on a circuit of their own, no shared with other sockets. You don't have this safety feature with this hack. However, if you do have a 5-15 or 5-20 socket on its own circuit, you can replace it with a 6-15 or 6-20 without re-wiring and replace the single breaker with a double one. That would be much safer and shouldn't cost a lot.

• Informative x 1