Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Anomaly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a first for me. Have been successfully doing 2:00 AM timed charges since getting the car in September '13. Last night I changed the start time to 3:00 AM (connected to HPWC). Tried several times this morning to connect using the smart phone, ipad and visual Tesla. None could wake up the car. Went out and sat in the car to discover it had not charged. Also the touch screen would not wake up. I unplugged the car and then plugged it back in (didn't notice if the port light was red... I think I would have though). Got back into the car and eventually rebooted the touch screen. It came back and now everything 'looks' to be working properly, including the ability to charge. It was quite cold last night and I am on 5.8. Glad today was a Sunday and not a week day. I would not have had enough charge to get to the office! Guess I will just have to see what happens tonight and be ready early in the morning to manually start the charge if necessary.

Had another "no charge" scenario yesterday. My car was at 90% or so, and I had it scheduled to start a Range Charge at around 5:00 AM for a trip I had to take in the morning.

I happened to wake up at about 5:30 and grabbed my phone to check. It was not charging.

Now here's something else weird: It would not start to charge when I pressed the "Charge Now" button on the app, and I tried 6 or 7 times. At this point, I tried turning on the HVAC which did work. I went back at hit the Charge button and with the HVAC on, it commenced charging. I turned the HVAC back off, rolled over and went back to sleep.

Had another "no charge" scenario yesterday. My car was at 90% or so, and I had it scheduled to start a Range Charge at around 5:00 AM for a trip I had to take in the morning.

I happened to wake up at about 5:30 and grabbed my phone to check. It was not charging.

Now here's something else weird: It would not start to charge when I pressed the "Charge Now" button on the app, and I tried 6 or 7 times. At this point, I tried turning on the HVAC which did work. I went back at hit the Charge button and with the HVAC on, it commenced charging. I turned the HVAC back off, rolled over and went back to sleep.

Good thing you're an early riser. I tested the timed charge this afternoon and it worked correctly. Have reset it to start a 90% charge at 3:00 AM. Fingers crossed that this does not become an ongoing issue.

For the last 2 morning my car has not started charging at the appointed time of 6am. When i checked on the car it said "Charge Complete" eventhough it was not anywhere near the charge limit (sitting at 143 rated miles with a charge limit of 90%). In the first case, I used the app to set a range charge and got it to start charging that way. The second time I went out to the car and unplugged it and then plugged it back in and it started right up. To further test the problem, this morning, after i got the car to start charging I let it run for an hour and then used the app to turn charging off still well short of 90% at 163 rated miles. An hour an a half later I got on the app, woke the car up, and pressed the start charging button. A few seconds later the car came back as "Charge Complete". Went out to the car unplugged it and then plugged it back in and the charge started right away. I do have the latest 5.8 firmware 1.49.27 and it charged for a couple of days with no issues after receiving the last update. I also rebooted the 17" display this morning after the second incident, but before I did the further testing of restarting the charge after sitting for an hour and a half.

Yes, scheduled charging is enabled. The key seems to be that the car thinks it has completed a charge when it hasn't even started it. With the app I have to change the mode to range charge to get the car to start charging and then once it is started I can set it back to standard charge (I have an android phone so do not have the new software)and everything is OK then.

Still hit and miss for me. Mine failed to start at 10:00 PM a couple of nights ago, but I caught it before I went to bed.

The weird thing is, I cannot initiate a charge from the App unless I turn the HVAC on (via the App) first. Otherwise pressing the "Charge Now" button will do nothing. So I turn on the HVAC, start the charge then go back and turn the HVAC off.

Still hit and miss for me. Mine failed to start at 10:00 PM a couple of nights ago, but I caught it before I went to bed.

The weird thing is, I cannot initiate a charge from the App unless I turn the HVAC on (via the App) first. Otherwise pressing the "Charge Now" button will do nothing. So I turn on the HVAC, start the charge then go back and turn the HVAC off.

I don't envy you. Doesn't seem like the car is the culprit, but still must be very frustrating. Good luck in isolating the problem.

I don't envy you. Doesn't seem like the car is the culprit, but still must be very frustrating. Good luck in isolating the problem.

It's gotta be the car. The cable is plugged in and locked (Blue ring). The dash and the App both show "Charge scheduled for xx:xx". It's just that the scheduled time comes and goes and the car doesn't (sometimes) start charging. I can get it charging via the App as long as I use my HVAC On/Off trick.

Some are theorizing it is temperature dependent, and that perhaps the 12v doesn't have enough juice to start the process. But I have had no 12v warnings or issues of any kind, so who knows?

I'm guessing a 5.8 bug. I've obviously tried re-booting with no luck.

I was away for about a week and found, based on my home energy monitor, that my car charged up to the tune of about 5 kWh every other day, which is exactly how much it topped itself up on 4.5 last summer. So for me, no change at all with respect to vampire losses with 5.8. And yes, my car is set to go to sleep... and it does seem to.

Here's what's weird. The charge seemed to go in fits and starts rather than the smooth on then off cycle that was the case before 5.8. This was before I received the .30 update, so I'll keep an eye out to see if this has been improved:

Charge 121413.jpg

The light green line is the EV circuit.

Having charging issues on 5.8 as well. I share the J1772 with my Leaf. Prior to 5.8 whenever I plugged the S in it would immediately start to charge, even if just for a minute when at the charge limit. After the software update an immediate start is uncomon. I can usually get charging started by unplugging the cord 1 or 2 times. Sometimes I have to actually sit in the car to start. Today nothing seems to work including manual start via the App. I keep the garage heated to 34 degrees, so the battery temp hasn't changed much. I can hear relays in the S clicking when I plug in the J1772, but charge port stays blue. State of charge is one notch above the lower limit of daily trips; charge limit is set one notch higher (mid-daily).

Tried a manual start via the App after leaving S plugged in for 45 minutes. No dice. Tried the mknox workaround. Interior temp 41 degrees. Started HVAC. Was then able to start the charging cycle (over two hours needed at 30 A, so nowhere near topped off). Just had a new 12V installed after imminent failure was predicted, so 12V and cold soak don't appear to be the problem. Charge port behavior also different on 5.8 -- J1772 adapter remains locked in place when J1772 is removed. Now I have to get in the car to unlock. Oh well, guess I won't have to worry about loss at a public charging station.

Here's my charging record from last night (Tallest peak is the S, shorter ones are the Leaf). Green line is garage ambient air temp at about 8" off the floor = approx cold-soak battery temp). At least I'm not getting the mknox start and stop pattern (but I'm not using the start timer like he is). Vampire loss on 5.8 is probably about 1/3rd of prior non-sleep software versions.

Charging Peaks 12-22.JPG