Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - anyone else having issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has been a bit odd (PodPoint as well) lately - I have a scheduled departure set for 7am. I plugged in at about 5:45pm the day before, but it started charging straight away (from 47% to 71%). It then came on again about 50 minutes later to take it from 71% to 77% and stop, then again after about another 40 minute pause to go from 77% to 82%, then 70 minutes later from 82% to 89%, then finally from 89% to 90% (as requested) to finish about 30 minutes before 7am.

No intervention from me at all...

What is going on there - any thoughts?
Anyone else having issues ? I’m running 2020.20.12 and the Tesla Ranger applied a patch on Friday to sort the volume and phone issue I had (sudden Music volume to max and intermittent call issues).
Since then I’ve had one part charge (only about 10% over the 4hr off peak time) and three failed charges - where I didn’t get anything at all!
I’ve contacted EV.energy and they’ve said they think it’s the latest Tesla software has cocked it up and I’m not the only one to report the issue .
I’ve raised a SC ticket

Yes, having exactly the same issue since installing 20.12; hopefully next update will fix it.

Mine has been a bit odd (PodPoint as well) lately - I have a scheduled departure set for 7am. I plugged in at about 5:45pm the day before, but it started charging straight away (from 47% to 71%). It then came on again about 50 minutes later to take it from 71% to 77% and stop, then again after about another 40 minute pause to go from 77% to 82%, then 70 minutes later from 82% to 89%, then finally from 89% to 90% (as requested) to finish about 30 minutes before 7am.

No intervention from me at all...

What is going on there - any thoughts?
I don’t know what is going on ... but I had a similar experience last night.
When charging is interrupted it is hard to tell if the problem is the charger or the car. In order to get evidence for this I have taken car to 4 other chargers (a supercharger, a Polar DC, a Polar AC and a Shell charger). In all 4 cases the charging continued uninterrupted to my target level. So evidence is mounting against PodPoint. I have raised this with PodPoint who have given me a “it is Tesla’s fault” answer in response to my “only 16A” problem. I have never had a “16A” problem (although I know that others have). I have challenged PodPoint to think again.

I don’t know what is going on ... but I had a similar experience last night.
When charging is interrupted it is hard to tell if the problem is the charger or the car. In order to get evidence for this I have taken car to 4 other chargers (a supercharger, a Polar DC, a Polar AC and a Shell charger). In all 4 cases the charging continued uninterrupted to my target level. So evidence is mounting against PodPoint. I have raised this with PodPoint who have given me a “it is Tesla’s fault” answer in response to my “only 16A” problem. I have never had a “16A” problem (although I know that others have). I have challenged PodPoint to think again.

You should be able to see using the Tesla app or on the car screen what amps the charger is offering. If you see something like 17amps/32amps then the restriction is coming from the car. The figure on the right is what your charger is presently offering. So if it's the charger it will be 17/17amps. Of course this is a pain if you have to wake up in the early hours to see! People with Teslafi or Teslamate will be able to track this on their stats no doubt.

You should be able to see using the Tesla app or on the car screen what amps the charger is offering. If you see something like 17amps/32amps then the restriction is coming from the car. The figure on the right is what your charger is presently offering. So if it's the charger it will be 17/17amps. Of course this is a pain if you have to wake up in the early hours to see! People with Teslafi or Teslamate will be able to track this on their stats no doubt.
Thank you for your comments ... but it is a bit like the reply I got from PodPoint - ie not relevant to the problem. The issue is not the charging power (I consistently get 30amp) but rather that the charging just stops even when the target SoC has not been reached. I can manually restart the charge and it will then run for 15 mins or so and then just stop again below the SoC. It is annoying to have this problem having had no problems for the previous 9 months.

Thank you for your comments ... but it is a bit like the reply I got from PodPoint - ie not relevant to the problem. The issue is not the charging power (I consistently get 30amp) but rather that the charging just stops even when the target SoC has not been reached. I can manually restart the charge and it will then run for 15 mins or so and then just stop again below the SoC. It is annoying to have this problem having had no problems for the previous 9 months.

... but when the charge stops is the charger still offering 30amps? That will surely tell you whether it's the car or the charge point that has stopped the charge.

What if you set the current lower in the car, does it charge proportionally longer or still 15m? I'd try halving it to test.

... but when the charge stops is the charger still offering 30amps? That will surely tell you whether it's the car or the charge point that has stopped the charge.
According to my Teslafi reports Average Amps = 30; Max Amps = 30. Does that help you understand whether the problem is the car or the charger?
I have taken the car to 4 other chargers away from Home and in each case the charging stopped only when the target SoC had been reached. This make me think the problem is not with the car.

Really hacked off!
Got back from work with 60% planning on a long journey tonight. Plugged in straight away 7kw, great, after an hours charge at 72% it’s throttled back to 4kw and 6 hours remaining to full.

I want to leave in an hour....

looks like I’ll have to incorporate a visit to a supercharger enroute, not impressed.

cue, rest of family in the car asking why didn’t we take the Touareg ‘it just works... and isn’t high maintenance’

Really hacked off!
Got back from work with 60% planning on a long journey tonight. Plugged in straight away 7kw, great, after an hours charge at 72% it’s throttled back to 4kw and 6 hours remaining to full.

I want to leave in an hour....

looks like I’ll have to incorporate a visit to a supercharger enroute, not impressed.

cue, rest of family in the car asking why didn’t we take the Touareg ‘it just works... and isn’t high maintenance’
This is the 4kw/17amp bug that is affecting everyone on 2020.20.12 or higher. There is another thread all about it. Sadly there is no workaround except keeping an eye on the charge rate and stopping and restarting when it hits. :(

This is the 4kw/17amp bug that is affecting everyone on 2020.20.12 or higher. There is another thread all about it. Sadly there is no workaround except keeping an eye on the charge rate and stopping and restarting when it hits. :(
My charging Seems to work fine as long as I Press the boost button (sadly this isn’t really freasable for my Octopus Energy off peak tariff). it’s only when I try to smart charge that I get issues of a part charge OR zero charge.
To confuse matters more, it worked fine last night charging for 66% to 80%

My charging Seems to work fine as long as I Press the boost button (sadly this isn’t really freasable for my Octopus Energy off peak tariff). it’s only when I try to smart charge that I get issues of a part charge OR zero charge.
To confuse matters more, it worked fine last night charging for 66% to 80%
I'm afraid Idon't know what your Issue is but JImbom's issue is the classic 20.12 4kw/17a bug

Reactions: Ant M3
Randomly limited to 4kW here when trying for 7kW. Car said 32A was available though... recycled the charge from the charger and it sorted itself out.
I thought it was my Zappi (other users have reported on their forums too) but looks like it might be a Tesla software issue.
That's pretty much a certainty at this point introduced in 20.12. The thread for it on this forum is here
Return of phantom 16 amp charging
This thread was started for another charge issue but since everyone is suffering the 4kw bug it keeps coming up here as well.