TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging Apps

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by RNG, Apr 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RNG

RNG Member

I have downloaded Recargo and PlugShare. I don't see a way to offer my Tesla HPWC securely to other Tesla owners with out advertising it to everyone that uses the apps. Have I missed something? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in this effort share with other Tesla owners. RNG

2. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

This is an issue I've heard discussed here in Texas with local owners - most of us would be quite happy to help out a Tesla owner in distress, or maybe even others, but wholesale listing of our address or even our phone seem potentially annoying, or worse.

As an example, I'd want to be optionally available at my NEMA 14-50 for owners in an emergency, but NOT be a required part of someone's travel plans. But, other power-sharers might be quite a bit more supportive.

IMHO, a few jerks will ultimately ruin the whole idea, but that might take a while; who knows. 8 \

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

As a data point, I've listed my 14-50 on both PlugShare and Recargo, requiring a phone call first (gate on drive). I've had exactly one person call in two years and I was glad to offer it.

Most people aren't searching charging apps unless they need a charge. And you always have the option to remove your information if it becomes bothersome.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

An anonymous/blind email system similar to Craigslist would solve this issue. The person supplying plug can decide if they want to respond and provide more info on a case by case basis.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

In FL Larry set up a private list of Tesla owners willing to share their charge facility. You obviously have to be prepared to share your own if you want to get on it. It's an idea that is easy to replicate in other States/regions.

6. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

PlugShare has messaging through the app.

7. jacobp

jacobp Member

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I use PlugShare. FYI they are in the process of merging with Recargo. I think Plug Share/Recargo are 2 of the most popular apps. What I don't like about it is that many stations don't list their amperage... Very annoying!
    The other website I use is SunCountry Highway as it lists amperage on all its EVSE's.

Take this with a grain of salt, I rarely use these apps and have only used public J1772's twice (didn't need a charge, just wanted to test out my j1772 adapter).

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

10. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I listed myself on plugshare, but put my share as a major intersection that is less than 2 blocks from my house