Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging around Banff National Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
Hello from Seattle!

I'm planning on trying to take a road trip in my S 90D from Seattle to your beautiful Banff National Park this summer. I see there are Superchargers on the way along the Trans-Canada Highway, with 2 just outside park limits in Golden and Canmore. However, national parks being what they are, there is no Supercharging inside the parks.

I'm not very familiar with the elevations inside the park along Highway 93 which runs north-south through the parks, so I would like to ask. Assuming I arrive in Golden and Supercharge my way to 100% charge there, is it possible to drive around in the parks through Banff up to Jasper and back to Golden with a single charge? Has anyone been around there and seen how battery usage is? And are there any ordinary charging stations inside the parks themselves or would this be a case of looking around for a campground in the parks with an outlet to plug into?

If anyone has experience road tripping around Banff, please share your knowledge! Thanks!

Hello from Seattle!

I'm planning on trying to take a road trip in my S 90D from Seattle to your beautiful Banff National Park this summer. I see there are Superchargers on the way along the Trans-Canada Highway, with 2 just outside park limits in Golden and Canmore. However, national parks being what they are, there is no Supercharging inside the parks.

I'm not very familiar with the elevations inside the park along Highway 93 which runs north-south through the parks, so I would like to ask. Assuming I arrive in Golden and Supercharge my way to 100% charge there, is it possible to drive around in the parks through Banff up to Jasper and back to Golden with a single charge? Has anyone been around there and seen how battery usage is? And are there any ordinary charging stations inside the parks themselves or would this be a case of looking around for a campground in the parks with an outlet to plug into?

If anyone has experience road tripping around Banff, please share your knowledge! Thanks!

I would like to see Jasper while in Banff area too, but I assumed that too difficult to get up there with a lack of superchargers. Looks like it is about 125 miles one way from Golden to Jasper.

EVTripplanner says it's 134 rated miles from Banff to Jasper, which is downhill. I'm more familiar with kilometers, so this is 216 rated km. My S90D typically says it'll go 400-some km on a 100% charge, so this part of the trip should be fine.

Coming back the other way is uphill (1000' +/- net elevation gain) and EVTripplanner suggests this will use 243 rated km (151 rated miles). Total in optimal conditions would be almost 460km, which is too far for my car to go and doesn't include distance from Golden (or Canmore) to Banff, and from Banff back to Golden (or Canmore). I wouldn't try it on a single charge. No point driving that highway at night anyhow, it's too gorgeous. Expect camper traffic in the summer (July and Aug), so you likely won't be doing the speed limit much. You may want to stop a couple times to do a short hike here and there. Take your time, enjoy the drive, stay in Jasper overnight, and it's a stress-free trip.

If you didn't mean actually going from the town of Banff itself to the town of Jasper, and are just going from Golden to Jasper and back, the numbers work out almost identically to the numbers I used above.

For what it's worth, if you're able I would suggest you go during the week in June and you won't have the traffic that you'll see once the kids are out of school here.