Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging around Battle Creek, MI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning my second Model S roadtrip. This one is with my 6 year old son and we're going from Chicago to a youth campground just outside Battle Creek, Michigan -- about a 200-mile trip each way. I've e-mailed the campground and they do not have RV or other electrical outlets for my use. When I look on Chargepoint and other charging station finders, there are really only three stations around Battle Creek listed. Two of these are at Kellogg Community College campuses that Google Street View reveals have signs about "No Overnight Parking", "Permit Parking" and "Student Use"; the third is at Consumers Energy, which is inconveniently located for me and doesn't seem like an ideal situation, as I've run into other electric company stations being for employee use only, despite being listed on Chargepoint. After looking around the forums, I decided to investigate RV campgrounds. I called Fort Custer State Park and they seemed very helpful. They have 219 campsites, all with electrical service available. The sites do not take reservations, but the person said they wouldn't all be booked. He wasn't able to provide details about the outlets except to say that large RVs plug into them, which makes me think they'll match my one adapter, the NEMA 14-50. The sites also have "regular" outlets, which I assume is 120 volts. From the Google satellite view, about half the campsites appear to at least have paved pads, but the campground is, understandably, out in the woods.

I'm planning on driving to the Fort Custer campground, plugging in, catching a ride back to the campground at which I'm staying, and leaving my Model S overnight so that it's charged up for the trip back to Chicago. Do folks think this plan is too sketchy and that I might be setting myself up for an EV roadtrip disaster, or should I feel confident? Are there alternatives that I'm missing? Thanks for any insights.

Always have a backup plan!

There are a couple Tesla owners in Battle Creek whom I'm sure could help you out if your plan doesn't work. They have listed 14-50's and HPWC's on plug share. I'd touch base with them ahead of time, in case your plan doesn't work out. I'll copy their info here for you...

James B.
Ports
Dryer Outlet, Tesla HPWC (Model S)
Address
3809 s Bedford ave
Phone
(317) 517-6959
Description
Alternate phone 3353349, call before showing up

Jeff K.
Ports
Dryer Outlet
Address
71 McAllister Road
Phone
(214) 226-5662
Description
NEMA 14-50 with a Tesla UMC

Wall Outlet, EV Plug, Tesla HPWC (Model S)
Address
208 knapp drive
Phone
(269) 589-9245
Description
Charger is Inside garage, cord will reach outside. Call before arrival to coordinate charging. LoneStar restaurant is two doors down from house. Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel, Arbys and McDonalds are within a short walking distance. Charge car while eating a good meal. Free coffee for Elon Musk.

Thought I'd provide an update. The trip went off without a hitch. The backup plan suggested by mnx actually became my primary plan. I went on PlugShare and discovered that there was a Leaf owner with a lake house just 4 miles from the campground I was staying at. I e-mailed with the homeowner a couple of times and then left my car plugged into the J1772 at his house for 10 hours during the day, grabbing a ride to/from with a friend at the camp. Feeling comfortable about the range situation on the trip home, it only took 2:06 to cover the 170 miles...