Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging around Bournemouth area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to picking up my new Model S 60D end of June/early July.

Within 2 weeks of collection, I'm staying at a holiday park around 5 miles from Bournemouth & wonder how best to charge?
I'll be able to get there OK, but not sure if I'll have access to a 3-pin outlet to let the car charge back up overnight?

Is it worth buying a CHAdeMO adapter, as this is the only long distance journey I have planned all year?
Is there anywhere in the UK I can hire a CHAdeMO for a week?

Cheers

Neil

It would be worth you checking whether the holiday park can give you access to a 32A blue single-phase commando socket. The UMC you get with the car has the correct adapter. That would give you much more juice than a 3 pin plug. You won't get a full charge overnight froma 3 pin either, not even close.

I'm not aware of anywhere that hires a CHAdeMO, you might be able to find someone to lend you one. The only place to buy one is Tesla at £358 (from memory). whether that's worth it depends a lot on your driving pattern, and where you are driving. The southwest is sorely lacking in Superchargers so being able to top up at an Ecotricity rapid point could be very useful. I've personally gone for one "just in case". In the overall scheme of things it's not a lot of money and you've only got to use it once in a tight spot and you've got payback!

Some good info here Charging away from home

Suggest you look at Zap map - Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map

There are a number of Chademo chargers and a smattering of 7kW which would give about 22 mph range. There are some 43kW points as well, which I would assume are 3 phase and therefore a bit faster than the 7kW units.

Whichever way you go, getting a 3 phase capable Type2 cable is recommended and personally I would get the Chademo as well. That's a personal choice as the one thing I still fret about is charging on the go, particularly on the south coast which as no real Super Charger support to speak of. So my logic was "I don't want to find out I need a Chademo adapter when it's raining and I desperately need to charge the car". If Tesla did a CCS adapter, I would definitely get one of those as well. Personal choice, it's up to you.

Like TC56 I bought a CHAdeMO adaptor and a Type 2 cable. The proper 3 phase Type 2 cable is almost a necessity and should be supplied with the car. The CHAdeMO is an insurance and for £358 last month worth it to me.

I also have an Urbitricity cable which is a system that is being introduced in a number of London boroughs for on-street charging from lampposts for residents though only single phase.

There are a few Tesla destination chargers including: at Haven Hotel, Sandbanks, and Cobbs Quay, hamworthy.
Also see Zap map > Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map
as mentioned by @DJP31 if the park has Blue commando's (32A) then the Standard Tesla UMC with commando adaptor you'll be able to pull 24 mph. Finally if you have any problems there is an active Tesla facebook page for the area: Log into Facebook | Facebook
Capture.JPG