Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging around Dallas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are headed up to Dallas for the TX/OU game and are bringing our Model S. After the game we are going to visit her family in Granbury before heading back to Austin on Sunday.

I hoped to charge somewhere in the Dallas area this evening, but can't find many Chargepoint chargers up in Dallas. I called a Whole Foods and they said they didn't have a charger and didn't think any of the Whole Foods did. I've heard some Walgreens have chargers but thats it. Does anyone know of some chargers near a nice part of town to grab a bite to eat or something while we add some juice? Are there any chargers downtown? I asked our hotel (Hyatt Regency) and they don't have anything, nor did they know of any. I've also heard they have chargers at the State Fair but I imagine that's going to be full on Saturday during the game. So, now I'm worried we're going to end up with some range anxiety.

From the Waco charger to Dallas to Granbury is 168mi, with another 90 back to Waco. We'll need some juice somewhere. In Granbury we'll plug into a 110, which won't give us much even overnight, so I'm hoping to find a better option somewhere else.

Can any of you Dallas folks give us some tips on where to find a little power around town?

Thanks!

I just did this...there is a Whole Foods with charging; it's a brand new one. Specifically it's the one in Addison (Google "Whole Foods Dallas ev charging"). There are also quite a few inexpensive hotels with chargers around, but I actually just went to the service center for a few hours (call ahead!). They were great. I picked up In-N-Out Burger nearby before I went and they had a waiting room table and didn't mind my having lunch there. They also provided free wi-fi! :) Check the hotel garage as well...the Four Seasons had lots of not-so-obvious 110 outlets around the garage.

Thanks for the help. We are new to the EV game, and I didn't realize there were different companies that offer charging stations. I guess I will need to sign up for a Blink membership to go along with it as well. I'm still not confident we'll be able to use the chargers during the game.

Thanks again & Hook 'Em!

Thanks for the help. We are new to the EV game, and I didn't realize there were different companies that offer charging stations. I guess I will need to sign up for a Blink membership to go along with it as well. I'm still not confident we'll be able to use the chargers during the game.

Thanks again & Hook 'Em!

Blink is out of biz (or on the verge--so I wouldn't waste signing up with them). Make sure to take your adapters with you.

UT better do something good this weekend...

Thanks again & Hook 'Em!
Warning! Blink just got sold in a bankruptcy auction and is currently throttling their chargers in Dallas! I found charge speeds to be about 14 mph; helpful but not enough! The service center guys offered to let me leave my car charging there overnight if necessary (a cab to the Galleria area is maybe $5 from the service center). Consider that as an option!

My wife and I are headed up to Dallas for the TX/OU game and are bringing our Model S. After the game we are going to visit her family in Granbury before heading back to Austin on Sunday.

I hoped to charge somewhere in the Dallas area this evening, but can't find many Chargepoint chargers up in Dallas. I called a Whole Foods and they said they didn't have a charger and didn't think any of the Whole Foods did. I've heard some Walgreens have chargers but thats it. Does anyone know of some chargers near a nice part of town to grab a bite to eat or something while we add some juice? Are there any chargers downtown? I asked our hotel (Hyatt Regency) and they don't have anything, nor did they know of any. I've also heard they have chargers at the State Fair but I imagine that's going to be full on Saturday during the game. So, now I'm worried we're going to end up with some range anxiety.

From the Waco charger to Dallas to Granbury is 168mi, with another 90 back to Waco. We'll need some juice somewhere. In Granbury we'll plug into a 110, which won't give us much even overnight, so I'm hoping to find a better option somewhere else.

Can any of you Dallas folks give us some tips on where to find a little power around town?

Thanks!

If you go to Dallas and Houston area often. Consider sign up with eVgo freedom charging stations from NRG. they have Level 2 charging for only $60 for a year.. that's only $5 a month (maintaining fees). There are at least 20 eVgo charging stations in Dallas area and about the same amount of stations in Houston. I don't think they have eVgo in Austin yet. I signed up with them and have use it a few times when I'm in Dallas. I'm waiting for tesla to come out with the CHAdeMO adapter to use their DC fast charger (almost as fast as supercharger).

Check out their website. http://www.evgonetwork.com/charging-plans/

If you go to Dallas and Houston area often. Consider sign up with eVgo freedom charging stations from NRG. they have Level 2 charging for only $60 for a year.. that's only $5 a month (maintaining fees). There are at least 20 eVgo charging stations in Dallas area and about the same amount of stations in Houston. I don't think they have eVgo in Austin yet. I signed up with them and have use it a few times when I'm in Dallas. I'm waiting for tesla to come out with the CHAdeMO adapter to use their DC fast charger (almost as fast as supercharger).

Check out their website. http://www.evgonetwork.com/charging-plans/

Even with your plan I believe you will you will pay $30/hr for the EvGo CHAdeMO. It may take a couple of hours to recharge with their DC chargers.

Even with your plan I believe you will you will pay $30/hr for the EvGo CHAdeMO. It may take a couple of hours to recharge with their DC chargers.

I talked to the sale rep from eVgo last week and they said that NRG is working on a plan for tesla owners to use DC Fast Charge, at a reasonable rate. He said this plan will be available before the CHAdeMO adapter available for us to buy. I'm hoping that we only have to pay a one time fee for the whole year, maybe like $99... for 12 months, or something like that. :)

Thanks again for the help guys. I did sign up for a Blink account, but we didn't need it.

We fully charged in Waco on our way to the game. Had a bit of a hassle charging at the hotel (had to drive valet guy into garage, parked on top floor with car parked next to elevators because spot was too small, got 3mi/hr on 110), but that got us enough to go to the game, and make it to my wife's hometown. We charged over night on 110 again, and got enough juice to get us back to Waco before heading back to Austin. We did use eco mode on the AC the whole trip, and set cruise at 72 in some 75mph zones to be sure we weren't using too much energy. As we get more comfortable with the rated range v our actual range I think we'll have less range anxiety. (Not relying on 110 would have helped as well)

So everything worked out well for our first multi-day trip. Next time I'll check the hotels out a little better before hand. I was told there was a plug in the garage, but it would have been better for me to seek out a hotel with a designated charging station. I'm also still getting to know all the types of chargers...

Thanks again for the help guys. I did sign up for a Blink account, but we didn't need it.

We fully charged in Waco on our way to the game. Had a bit of a hassle charging at the hotel (had to drive valet guy into garage, parked on top floor with car parked next to elevators because spot was too small, got 3mi/hr on 110), but that got us enough to go to the game, and make it to my wife's hometown. We charged over night on 110 again, and got enough juice to get us back to Waco before heading back to Austin. We did use eco mode on the AC the whole trip, and set cruise at 72 in some 75mph zones to be sure we weren't using too much energy. As we get more comfortable with the rated range v our actual range I think we'll have less range anxiety. (Not relying on 110 would have helped as well)

So everything worked out well for our first multi-day trip. Next time I'll check the hotels out a little better before hand. I was told there was a plug in the garage, but it would have been better for me to seek out a hotel with a designated charging station. I'm also still getting to know all the types of chargers...

Congrats on first trip--glad it all worked out. Yep, next time (especially when most hotels aren't full like OU weekend), there are a bunch a good hotels with chargers. Thank goodness UT won!