TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging at 110v 15amp

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by napabill, Jan 2, 2013.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Just arrived here in Tucson with 7 rated miles left showing. Only have 110v at this point, so plugged'er in. 3.5 days later, have full rated range of 240 miles. Since we don't drive much down here, am going to see if I can get by with 110v until the 14-30 adapter becomes available.

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Best of luck. That really speaks to your custom plate wording :biggrin:

3. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

NapaBill - well done. I tried to charge on New Year's Day at 110v but, with cheap condo construction where I was staying, and a long 50ft extension cord, drew just 12A. It was cold - near zero in New Hampshire - and over 15 hours I kept the battery warm but added only 6 (six) miles. Already had enuf charge 106 miles) to cover the 84 miles back to my place, where a NEMA 14-50 eagerly awaited my return, with 3 miles of rated range left as I pulled in.

The point: cold weather calls for higher amperage charging.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I still think Tesla should consider dual charging ports for cars equipped with dual chargers so you could plug into two separate circuits at once, 110 or 220.

5. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

3 miles??? Wow, I would have peed my pants!

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

12A is the max for 110V, not "just"

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Really? It can't do 16 Amps? The OP (Bill) seems to indicate he was drawing 15 Amps.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Correct. Old firmware let you select 15 amps but, as it should (with newer firmware) it's limited to 12. The only way to get 16 would be on a 20 amp circuit with a NEMA 5-20 adapter -- but such an adapter does not yet exist.

9. napabill

napabill Active Member

OK, so I screwed up. It's 12 amps. So sue me!:tongue:

10. GDH

GDH Banned

I think you are friends with my bosses dad, their last name is Henry. They live in Berkley I think.

11. efxjim

efxjim Member

Please bring us a NEMA 5-20 adaptor end. There does appear to be a resistance between the ground and the pilot pin on the adapter end that may signal how much current can be drawn.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Regarding the OP's experience, charging in Tucson in January is nearly ideal -- probably little power was diverted to manage the battery's temperature. @TeslaS1079 was facing very cold conditions, and it appears that nearly all the power was diverted to heat the pack, rather than charging it. Come July, the situation will be reversed.

13. napabill

napabill Active Member

Henry in Berkeley is not ringing a bell. And my visa for getting into Berkeley has expired so haven't been there for bit.:smile:

14. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If I can get Cinergi (Ben) over the house I can try an OpenEVSE at 120V and see if 16A and 24A works (I can adjust the pilot signal on the OpenEVSE and I have a RV Park setup with a TT-30, 30A 120V outlet)

We did test my 75A L2 OpenEVSE, but forgot about any L1 testing.

(I have more than 1 OpenEVSE, a portable L1/L2 30A and the wall mounted 75A L2)

15. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Charging on 110v, 15-amp and getting 2 mi/hr. In addition to weather, are there other factors to consider? Receptacle is ~ 120 feet from the panel. Planning to upgrade to 200-amps and install a NEMA 14-50R in a few months.

P1110067.jpg

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Your voltage drop is on the higher side. Most of the 120 outlets I've tried are 116V+. Don't pay much attention to the mi/hr number, as it's not very accurate. I've had it say 2 mi/hr and gain around 40 miles in 10 hours, although if the temp is near freezing or below, 1-2 mph is all you will get.

17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Yup, that's normal, especially for such a long run. I have about the same run as you. However, I was not even able to pull the full 12A likely due to voltage drop and possible whatever else was on that circuit. If I have mine set to 10/11/or 12A, I get an error that says something like "warning, extension cord used..blah blah blah" and it drops it to 0A and won't charge. fyi I do *not* use an extension cord. I have to have mine set to 8A or 9A for it to remain "stable" and charge at 1mph, though a "low power" warning stays on the screen the whole time.

(side note: even at night, with everything in my house shut off, I still wasn't able to get more than that, so it mustn't be anything else on that circuit, and must be simply the long ass run for a 15A, it's probably not a direct run either, probably up through the attic, all around the house, then last stop the garage on other side of house. I suspect just waayyy to long from breaker to receptacle, possibly more like 150-200ft after any other receptacles in line).

So I was lazy and did not install my NEMA 14-50 before I got the car (procrastination is my name) and had to use 120V outlet for the first day. After I installed the NEMA 14-50 myself, which is a direct run from breaker to garage, now I get about 26mph(rated)/32mph(ideal) charge on full 40A. :)

fyi, 125ft of 6/3 cable is expensive, ~$270 bucks, lol. picked up one of those NEMA 14-50R "RV" enclosures from home depot, dual pole 50A breaker, couple of doo-dads (conduit, clamps, etc), and total cost for my install was around $350. I plan on moving soon, and I'm taking my $270 6/3 cable with me LOL. It's not like I had a permit to do this anyway LOL so need to remove before I sell. Besides, I actually only had a single-pole available in my breaker box so I disconnected another single pole breaker for my hot tub (I don't use it) to make room for the dual pole, I'll need to put that back or I'll fail inspection haha

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Tesla makes an assumption that a higher-than-normal voltage drop means there's an extension cord (because those typical green, brown, or orange cords you buy in the store are usually 16 AWG). But in a few cases on this forum, we've seen that it is due to a longer 15A circuit on 14 AWG wiring. In various electrical forums, both professional and D-I-Y, there is an eternal argument over whether it's even practical to use 14 AWG anymore for anything but lighting circuits.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if I found that the 15amp outlets in my house are wired with 16 AWG...whoever built it (in 1980) did a lot of weird things with the electrical wiring to save on cost I assume.

20. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Yikes, 16AWG? I didn't even know that people used that for 120V outlets. I personally haven't seen anything less than 14AWG used on 120V outlets. There is about a 400 foot run to a hay shed where I sometimes charge overnight on 120V, and I thought that was a decent drop(114-115V).