Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 127v?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am heading on a road trip that will take me down to Mexico. There is a SC in El Centro right by the border and I am heading down to San Felipe which is 135 miles from El Centro. Obviously I won't be able to make it down and back on that last charge so I will need to charge at my friends in San Felipe. If I just plug into his 110 outlet and let it charge for a few days I was thinking I would be ok but I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I think the Tesla site says 3 miles an hour for charging at 110? If I plugged it in for 2-3 days would I be ok? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

US is 120v, Mexico is 127v you won't find 110v in either country.

You'll charge 5% faster on 127v than 120v assuming you find a good circuit with proper wiring.

At worst you'll charge about the same as 120v in the US assuming that we rule out tripping the breaker or starting a fire.

Your experience won't matter much if he can't plug it in. The pictures I see online of outlets in Mexico are two prong, not three prong
Yeah, this is mostly moot. The Tesla charging cord just shows a red light and won't do anything if there is not a real ground. I tried to charge at a friend's house where he had an outdoor outlet for some Christmas lights, and it wouldn't work because the ground wasn't really there or wasn't hooked up right.

Thank you to everyone for your experience and advice. I am obviously a notive to longer road trips so this is a big trip for me from northern California, and the longest yet by far. There is a lot to absorb but I will certainly do that and this will all be extremely hepful in planning to plan my trip. Adios!

you might want to take a quick 220 with you. http://www.quick220.com/?gclid=CODTgMC1mtQCFZJXDQodBHADsA
If your friend has 2 outlets connected to different phases you can charge 4 times as fast.