Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 127v?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am heading on a road trip that will take me down to Mexico. There is a SC in El Centro right by the border and I am heading down to San Felipe which is 135 miles from El Centro. Obviously I won't be able to make it down and back on that last charge so I will need to charge at my friends in San Felipe. If I just plug into his 110 outlet and let it charge for a few days I was thinking I would be ok but I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I think the Tesla site says 3 miles an hour for charging at 110? If I plugged it in for 2-3 days would I be ok? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

I am heading on a road trip that will take me down to Mexico. There is a SC in El Centro right by the border and I am heading down to San Felipe which is 135 miles from El Centro. Obviously I won't be able to make it down and back on that last charge so I will need to charge at my friends in San Felipe. If I just plug into his 110 outlet and let it charge for a few days I was thinking I would be ok but I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I think the Tesla site says 3 miles an hour for charging at 110? If I plugged it in for 2-3 days would I be ok? Appreciate any advice. Thank you
do the math, how low will you be starting at? @3mph you'll get 72+ miles per day.

do the math, how low will you be starting at? @3mph you'll get 72+ miles per day.

Also consider, if you will, that in some cases the cabling may be really far from the main panel and could charge at less than three miles per hour. For example, I had a one mile per hour rate at a garage in NJ on my trip coast to coast.

I am heading on a road trip that will take me down to Mexico. There is a SC in El Centro right by the border and I am heading down to San Felipe which is 135 miles from El Centro. Obviously I won't be able to make it down and back on that last charge so I will need to charge at my friends in San Felipe. If I just plug into his 110 outlet....

My first reaction was to go to plugshare. There are several charging stations near Ensenada. I wonder if there's a motel near San Felipe. They often have 50 amp outlets. I look at a map, type in RV parks near San Felipe. There are several. I see pictures of trailers and motor homes and campers plugged in. I have plugged in at several RV parks and motels. It only takes an hour to make your 270 miles get more reasonable.

Y'know, I bet Mexico has 220 volts, probably 50 amps. I would call ahead and check around. 3 miles an hour might be OK, but then again, it might not. Find out your options.

Also, I think the speed limit is still lower than in the states, so I would not say it's impossible to make 270 miles on my car. I don't know about yours....

Reactions: IdaX and JHWJR

My personal experience says that 3mph rate might be a tad optimistic on a longer wiring run. Since you're going to be there for a few days, plug in and check on it after 12 hours to see what kind of sustained rate you're actually getting. It'll be warm, so you won't lose much, if any, power to keeping the battery conditioned.

My first reaction was to go to plugshare. There are several charging stations near Ensenada. I wonder if there's a motel near San Felipe. They often have 50 amp outlets. I look at a map, type in RV parks near San Felipe. There are several. I see pictures of trailers and motor homes and campers plugged in. I have plugged in at several RV parks and motels. It only takes an hour to make your 270 miles get more reasonable.

Y'know, I bet Mexico has 220 volts, probably 50 amps. I would call ahead and check around. 3 miles an hour might be OK, but then again, it might not. Find out your options.

Also, I think the speed limit is still lower than in the states, so I would not say it's impossible to make 270 miles on my car. I don't know about yours....

Thank you very much! That definitey gives me some things to think about. In RV parks is the plug the same as what I use at home with with my wall charger? I assumed Mexico was 110 but that is a good point too. I will check with my friend. I would need a different attachmnt to the plug for 220 though right? Are they available on the Tesla site, or cheaper on Amazon?

If there's an RV park nearby that's obviously your best bet.
However if you'll actually be parked at your friend's house for a few consecutive days and not driving much while down there, plugging in at your friend's at 110-120v may be enough for you.

Data point - I charge at home with 120V/12A and get a solid 6 km (rated) per hour of charge, so about 3.7mph. UMC is plugged directly into the outlet, then the wiring run from the detached garage probably goes 50ft or so to the breaker panel back inside the house.

I don't know that you'll be able to charge from 120V outlet there. I see online that most Mexican outlets are non grounded (don't have the third prong). Best for your friend to take a picture of his outlets and send it to you. Regarding how many miles/hr if you can plug in, the 3 mph is for a 120V 15A outlet close to the breaker with nothing else running on it. If there is too much of a voltage drop the car won't charge.

If RV parks there have the same 50A outlets as in the US, then it takes the same 14-50 UMC adapter as you use at home.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
...In RV parks is the plug the same as what I use at home with with my wall charger...

Most US RV parks provide NEMA 14-50 which is one of three adapters in your adapter bag:

1) 120 V.
2) NEMA 14-50 for 240V 50 Ampere circuit.
3) J1772 for public chargers.

Some older US RV parks don't offer that kind of NEMA 14-50 outlet.

I assume Mexico electric system is the same as US and Canada. It is advisable to call your friend up and send a picture of the electrical wall outlet where you'll plug in so you can figure out the appropriate adapter.

Like others have said, 120 V charging is fine as long as you have patience to wait like about 3 days for a full charge.

It is only a problem in the East Coast subfreezing winter when 120 V current can't hardly warm up your main battery enough and you would hardly gain any miles at all.

It is best to plug in directly to the wall outlet and make sure nothing else (microwave, toaster, blender, iron...) is plugged in that circuit or it might trip the circuit breaker.

If you must use an extension cord, make sure the gauge size is as low as possible such as 12 AWG (lower gauge means bigger wire size) to avoid voltage drop and overheat.

Good luck!

I'm currently getting 3.4 mph with 119V pulling 12 amps. I can get 5.0mph@116V pulling 16amps.
My plug is dedicated 20 amp 5-20R outlet with about 35 ft long wire to panel. This is when battery doesn't need heat/cooling. Numbers are from Visible Tesla. My outlet gets warm (~55C) so I normally use the 15 amp plug as it replenishes enough for me.

It may be worth it for you to get a Tesla — NEMA 5-20 for the 50% faster charging provided your host has some 20 amp plugs.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your experience and advice. I am obviously a notive to longer road trips so this is a big trip for me from northern California, and the longest yet by far. There is a lot to absorb but I will certainly do that and this will all be extremely hepful in planning to plan my trip. Adios!