Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 16amps only with Rolec 22kw charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning, had delivery of my M3 SR+ on 25 September and have a query about charging with the Rolec Unit in work.
basically it should be a 22kw unit for both plugs. The power supply to the unit is 63amps three phase which gives 44kw total output. Which should support 22kw charging.
my car gets 12kw charge and seems restricted to 16amps. when charging at home it charges at 32amps.
anyone able to offer any ideas, as I am also responsible for the charger unit in work and would like to ensure we get 22kw charge speeds.
thanks

When you are plugged in and charging, the image of your car in the app will show the charging details: Volts, Amps, KWh speed. The last one will show 11KWh which is as fast as a M3 can charge, as Kelvin660 has told you.

If you are seeing that then all is well.

32 A x 230 V = 7.36 kW on single phase
16 A x 400 V x root 3 = 11.09 kW on three phase

Ignoring power factor, which will be pretty close to 1, something like 0.98-0.99 at a guess.
Pretty much although the maths is simpler that that because it’s in star not delta formation with a common neutral, it’s just 16 x 230 x 3 ie 3 individual 16a AC to DC converters, which on single phase, 2 get used to give the 32a, and in the US where they don’t have 3 phase supplies, 3 x 16A to support 48A single phase charging.

Reactions: LukeUK