Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 44mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m buying my boss’s 2018 MX 100D. While waiting for my wall connector to arrive and be installed, I was over at his place and hooked it up to his gen3 wall connector (I’m charging 110 at home). I was surprised to see it charging at 44 mph. I mentioned to him I thought it would only charge at 30 mph on a gen3 wall connector. He said he thought it received some kind of software upgrade that allowed it. Fast forward to today where I just got my wall connecter installed on a 60A circuit and I’m only getting a 30mph charge rate. Did I imagine the 44mph charge rate? I don’t remember what it said for amps while charging. He’s on vacation otherwise I’d go back to confirm. For reference, he’s got two gen3 wall connectors on a 100A circuit setup for power sharing.

When connected to your Wall Connector, what does your car show as amps while charging? If it is not 48 amp the easiest thing to check is if the Wall Unit has been properly configured. Check the manual. And to confirm you have Wall Unit and not a mobile connector, right?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'll check. I could swear both of his wall connectors were white like mine so they'd be the gen3.
Unlikely. Back in 2018, the Model X was capable of 72 amp AC charging. Also in that era the Wall Connector was Gen2, which was capable of charging up to 80 amps (when installed on a 100 amp circuit and programmed correctly). Load sharing between two WC, required a data cable between them, while Gen3 uses WiFi. Externally, they look the same.

Since 2018, the X was reduced to 48 amps max, as well as the Gen3 WC only supporting 48 amps max. If you want to check, look at the charging display when NOT connected to a charger. It probably shows 72 amps maximum. Also, ask your boss if there is a cable between his two WCs. Cable = Gen2, (80 amp max), WiFi = Gen3 (48 amp max). Today, you can only buy a Gen3. Back in 2018, you could only buy a Gen2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvey Danger
Lot of things to correct here.
For reference, he’s got two gen3 wall connectors on a 100A circuit setup for power sharing.
No, he definitely doesn't. Circuit sharing STILL hasn't been enabled for the Gen3 wall connectors, and it's been well over a year!
Load sharing between two WC, required a data cable between them, while Gen3 uses WiFi. Externally, they look the same.
They don't look anything alike. The Gen2 ones were twice as big and twice as heavy as the Gen3, and they never made the Gen2 with the white faceplate, which is the only way the Gen3 ones look.

Just running a quick ratio of 72/48 amps multiplied by that 30 mph does show about 45 mph, so the 44 mph you were seeing was for the 72A current that the older Model X can take. The previous owner has Gen2 wall connectors, not Gen3 if you were actually seeing 44 mph on the display. But yeah, looking at the amps is a more certain determination.

Here's 47mph in my garage (see attached)
13EEEA89-CF56-4D72-A405-559C1B238087.jpeg

Lot of things to correct here.

No, he definitely doesn't. Circuit sharing STILL hasn't been enabled for the Gen3 wall connectors, and it's been well over a year!

They don't look anything alike. The Gen2 ones were twice as big and twice as heavy as the Gen3, and they never made the Gen2 with the white faceplate, which is the only way the Gen3 ones look.

Yes, my mistake. I’d only glanced at his wall connectors and mistook the silver for white and I hadn’t gotten my gen3 yet to appreciate the size difference. I also thought the gen2 wall connectors were black due to the one time I searched for wall connectors on eBay weeks ago and a whole bunch of what I now know to be gen2 signature edition listings were returned with the gen3’s.

I’ve driven more in the past few weeks since I’ve gotten the MX than the few months prior and the overnight 48A charging has been more than adequate but a part of me wishes I was more knowledgeable at the time and maybe installed a gen2.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Circuit sharing STILL hasn't been enabled for the Gen3 wall connectors, and it's been well over a year!
And voila just a few days later we have this:

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I have a late 2017 MX 100D and for years I have been using my Tesla wall charger connected to two 80amp breakers. It would say 64/64amp and charge at 40mph. Suddenly, today, it says 48/64amp and will only charge at 31mph?! WTF?! I did nothing different!
Any ideas?

It should be set up so that it gets 240V (actually says 243V).

Attachments

• 2BD94475-4E9C-411A-BCD1-2159094C8B0F.jpeg
    2BD94475-4E9C-411A-BCD1-2159094C8B0F.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 024FB0A1-2A3C-4CA9-A174-58F8CE33A558.jpeg
    024FB0A1-2A3C-4CA9-A174-58F8CE33A558.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 64
  • C6CD4C3B-2181-4FB8-8D73-F01EFB7A0EF1.jpeg
    C6CD4C3B-2181-4FB8-8D73-F01EFB7A0EF1.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 48
I have a late 2017 MX 100D and for years I have been using my Tesla wall charger connected to two 80amp breakers. It would say 64/64amp and charge at 40mph. Suddenly, today, it says 48/64amp and will only charge at 31mph?! WTF?! I did nothing different!
Any ideas?
I'm confused. You have a X, with I'm guessing the 72amp charger installed. You have a Gen 2 HPWC also, hooked to dual(??) 80amp breakers? I'm guessing you mean just hooked up to with a single 80amp breaker.

Then you show a photo of your charging screen, with 64amps as the max available charge rate.

So I'm guessing we are missing some information, or your HPWC has it's dip switch setting wrong to begin with (if you really are on a single 80 amp circuit).

Beyond that, your onboard charger might have a fault. There are 3 (I believe) boards inside the internal charger. One might have failed.

also, hooked to dual(??) 80amp breakers? I'm guessing you mean just hooked up to with a single 80amp breaker. [...] (if you really are on a single 80 amp circuit).
You are using words that don't make any sense here. It's a 240V circuit, so it uses a two pole breaker instead of a one pole breaker, as a 120V circuit would use. There is no single circuit or double circuit.
@thtrotter I was also inclined to think the same thing that @ATPMSD was saying about possible voltage drop. There is a system in the car that will look at the starting voltage before charging and compare it to the voltage when it has ramped up charging with a heavy load, and if there is excessive voltage drop from that, it will reduce the charging amps to three fourths of what it was to see if that helps. That is what the 48/64 amps seemed to indicate.

But you do show 243V when charging, which should be totally fine. I am wondering if there was some very short term voltage sag in your neighborhood that triggered this. If it has kicked in this lowering, I don't think it will automatically go back up until you turn it back up on purpose on the screen. Does it let you adjust the amps now?

Reactions: Fiver
You are using words that don't make any sense here. It's a 240V circuit, so it uses a two pole breaker instead of a one pole breaker, as a 120V circuit would use. There is no single circuit or double circuit.
@thtrotter I was also inclined to think the same thing that @ATPMSD was saying about possible voltage drop. There is a system in the car that will look at the starting voltage before charging and compare it to the voltage when it has ramped up charging with a heavy load, and if there is excessive voltage drop from that, it will reduce the charging amps to three fourths of what it was to see if that helps. That is what the 48/64 amps seemed to indicate.

But you do show 243V when charging, which should be totally fine. I am wondering if there was some very short term voltage sag in your neighborhood that triggered this. If it has kicked in this lowering, I don't think it will automatically go back up until you turn it back up on purpose on the screen. Does it let you adjust the amps now?
OK it was late when I posted that and re-reading it today it dawned on me that 80% of a 80amp breaker is 64amps.
A: I had my head in 100amp breaker world (80% = 80amps) so now I get why the photo's show what they do.
B: I also was thinking of two, physical breakers, as in 100amps X 2.
C: Yea, the whole 120/240 single/double pole breaker part, but it is still physically one unit on a double pole breaker, even though it's technically 2 120's together.. I was just thinking of literally two separate complete breakers.

D: Fiver shouldn't be online after midnight. Mistakes were made lol. Although I stand by my comment about the possibility of an internal board failure inside the onboard charger. The voltage thing is also a possibility as mentioned above. Perhaps something else in the house is kicking on and momentarily dropping the voltage in the home enough to have the HPWC dial back.